Talk

Advanced search

How do you stop breastfeeding a baby who you co-sleep with?

(12 Posts)
ridingsixwhitehorses Mon 31-Oct-16 23:12:23

DS just turned 1. He has always been mix fed though mostly ff in day and bf at night. I sleep naked - mostly because I always have done but also to facilitate breastfeeding. He will only sleep in my bed and I am ok with this so we co-sleep. But I want to stop bf - he mostly uses me as a dummy (he refuses a dummy) and it hurts and is irritating and I am totally over it! How do I stop while co-sleeping though as he latches on when I am half (fully!) asleep. Do I just wear a t-shirt and make it hard for him? I really hate wearing clothes in bed. And he will just wake me up pawing me. He has a bottle around 11pm anyway. Usually after his bottle he likes a little slurp on me too.

Breadwidow Mon 31-Oct-16 23:21:18

Google jay Gordon night weaning method, its designed for co sleeping. It's not a magic bullet - I did it very successfully with DS when he was just over 1 but DD has resisted ggrrrrrr. He didn't mention anything about clothing as far as I recall, you basically cut feed lengths and then don't feed within set time limit over a period of a few days. It's def worth a try as with DS it meant we went from all night endless feeding to him sleeping 11pm-6am within a week, bliss!

Ohyesiam Tue 01-Nov-16 19:44:03

The only easy we managed was to get dd to sleep with her dad.

Ohyesiam Tue 01-Nov-16 19:45:51

I think Elizabeth Pantly says something helpful about it in the No cry sleep solution

WaccaWacca Tue 01-Nov-16 19:50:17

Second vote for jay Gordon. Did it at 2yo. Wasn't too horrendous and we only kicked him out of our bed aged 4.

Dozer Tue 01-Nov-16 19:54:13

We did dr jay gordon at 14 months because I was exhausted and returning to work: 3 nights of hours and hours of solid wailing, while being cuddled, mainly by DH, then no more night bf, but continued to co sleep and bf in day.

The memory still makes me shudder but I was distraught with night feeds!

ridingsixwhitehorses Wed 02-Nov-16 13:47:01

Thank you. I can't bear idea of him wanting it and not getting it. But I am a wuss.

Dozer Wed 02-Nov-16 16:22:43

I felt like that too, and it was combined with return to work guilt and woe to boot, but it wasn't good for me to be physically or mentally unwell or risk accidents because of sleep deprivation!

Dozer Wed 02-Nov-16 16:25:24

I did continue to co sleep and bf my DD until over age 2, just no bf at night, and after the initial upset (which DH helped manage) she was content! Now in primary school - "this too shall pass"

BlueNectarine Wed 02-Nov-16 16:28:13

We did Jay Gordon's method when my lo was just over one, and feeding all night! I did also wear tshirts so I could cuddle her tight and she didn't have easy access!

Nottalotta Thu 03-Nov-16 09:30:20

Those of you who dud the Jay Gordon method, how did it work if Co sleeping? Ds is 15 months and only bf between about 2 and 5 am but recently wants to be latched on for the whole three hours or more. I'm pregnant and have developed a huge aversion to it. I've read Jay Gordon method, but I can't see how I am supposed to resettle a massive active 15 month old. It's like a wrestling match!

Last night he woke at 2, fed/suckled for 30 minutes. Didn't go to sleep until nearly 4 am. I had to sit up and hold him., literally pin him to me to begin with, sing, rock etc to stop him just launching about the bed. If I do this for 3-4 days I can't see that the next stage will work, ie not picking him up.

Breadwidow Thu 03-Nov-16 20:25:45

When I did it with my son I had to do a lot of rocking for 3 nights but then after that just past helped. I was like you & couldn't imagine it working but it did, so I'd recommend giving it a go. If it's a nightmare it may be best to stop & try again in a few weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now