Silent reflux? Help!

(7 Posts)
Becciilouisex3 Mon 31-Oct-16 12:04:19

Hi all

Desperately seeking some advice. Worth noting I do have a doctors appointment for later today but would like to hear from some mum's too as I'm a FTM, not the most confident and fear being palmed off!

My DS is 15 days old. He began screaming as if he was in pain exclusively at night time for 2/3ish hours and so I took him to the doctors last week and he was diagnosed with colic, prescribed infacol and sent away. This doesn't seem to be working and he has rapidly gone downhill.

As a rule he's a very happy, content little boy. We have noticed though that when he has his evening feed around 7ish, he takes a lot more than usual, gets hiccups for quite a while and then won't settle in his crib at all, he just screams when he's laid down. He then seems to get a lot more hungry than usual, crying for feeds every hour/hour and a half up until around half one. During this time, he will scream constantly, for the whole 6 and a half hours. We can't sleep at all because as soon as we lay him on his back he screams as if he's in pain. We can hear the wind in him and he trumps a lot but he is so hard to wind! We can get the occasional one out but it doesn't seem to help his pain much. The only thing that seems to relieve him for maybe 5 minutes is to lay him on his tummy but obviously due to SIDS he shouldn't sleep like this. He is usually settled during the day however, is very very grumpy and unsettled today.

It is so distressing for us to see him in this much pain and I'm worried that the more tired I'm getting, the less I'll be able to focus and look after him properly. He fits all of the symptoms of silent reflux in the picture attached but only suffers badly during the night so I'm not sure what to think. Dreading going to the doctors and it being palmed off as colic again. I know my son and I'm sure it isn't colic.

Any advice would be very very appreciated.

Becciilouisex3 Mon 31-Oct-16 12:04:52

Symptoms I found

minipie Mon 31-Oct-16 12:17:52

Hi Becci, you might get more answers if you press the "report" button (top right of your post) and ask for your post to be moved to the Infant Feeding section.

It sounds like either trapped wind or reflux or a combination of both. Is he breastfed or formula fed?

Becciilouisex3 Mon 31-Oct-16 12:43:27

Oh thank you I didn't even realise there was a feeding category! smile

He's formula fed and has been on the same formula since he was one day old (Aptamil). I was considering asking the doctor about prescription milk perhaps x

westeringhome Tue 01-Nov-16 13:50:08

Hi Becci, how did the appointment go? My 8 week DD was diagnosed with silent reflux 2 weeks ago but I am pretty sure she had it since week 1 as the symptoms were all there and got increasingly worse, but it was treated unsuccessfully as discomfort from thrush, trapped wind etc. Within 24 hours of being prescribed ranitidine she became a different baby altogether. This is my fourth child but the first time I have had anything to do with reflux and I just feel so sorry that she had to suffer all those weeks while they ruled everything else out. Hope your little boy is ok, and you, as I know how exhausting it is.

Timetogrowup2016 Tue 01-Nov-16 14:04:45

Sounds silly but how much is baby napping in the day ?

Becciilouisex3 Thu 03-Nov-16 14:51:19

The doctor seems to think it sounds like a reflux issue because of the, only being comfortable in certain positions, being difficult to wind, lifting and holding his head etc however has never heard of silent reflux and can't understand why he isn't vomiting or why it's exclusively at night. She said it could be a combination of colic and something else as some of his behaviour is consistent with a colic diagnosis but there are some symptoms there that would point to their being another underlying issue.

As of yet we have been prescribed some Pepti-Junior to try him on to eliminate a cows milk allergy/intolerance and have to go back on Friday to let her know how we get on before proceeding down the route of trying other things. DS still pulling away after having 2oz though. Crying for more but then stiffing and crying with pain when we give it to him sad She did say it seems like it will be very much a "trial and error" process with him.

I'm so glad to hear your LO is more settled now! It must be such a relief not to have to hear the pain cries! Ranitidine I've heard has been the "magic cure" for most babies with silent reflux so I'm going to try and push for it if the doctor agrees that's what's going on although I know gaviscon is the first point of call!

DS naps quite a lot in the day however he is becoming slowly more awake during the day and having a look around at his surroundings! He spends between maybe 4-6 hours awake somedays a couple more smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now