Talk

Advanced search

Exclusively breastfed baby poos once a week

(9 Posts)
MadrigalElectromotive Sun 09-Oct-16 16:55:25

My dd is almost 5 months old and is exclusively breastfed. I feed on demand and she always has several wet nappies per day. However, she only poos once a week. She's only gained 200g in weight in the last 6 weeks as well so for these two reasons my hv recommended switching her to formula. I don't really want to - I want to bf until 6 months at least, and quite possibly longer. It's really easy these days so I'm reluctant to introduce a different method at this stage, but obviously will do it if it's best for dd. I just don't know what to do.

For full disclosure, I'm also taking Sertraline for pnd which is another reason the hv suggested stopping bf. I don't mind the feeding though and from what I've read I think Sertraline is definitely safe for breastfeeding.

Does anyone have any advice? Have you switched to formula for slow growth/pnd/constipation?

AmberEars Sun 09-Oct-16 16:57:14

It's normal for breast fed babies to poo infrequently. It's because your breast milk is so full of goodness that there isn't much waste! smile

TormundGiantsbabe Sun 09-Oct-16 16:59:32

My gp said sertraline is safe to take while breastfeeding. She even checked her book and showed me to reassure me.

Bf babies pooing once a week is also normal (and one of the pros of bf!). Is your baby following the curve in the weight chart? If she is, and is happy and feeding well then I would carry on bf and ignore the hv get a new one or stop seeing one altogether if they're only going to be unhelpful.

AmberEars Sun 09-Oct-16 16:59:51

Re weight gain, my DS1 went from 75th percentile at birth to 25th percentile age three months. It's stressful but not all babies stick to the percentiles. If she seems healthy and alert I would try not to worry to much. My DS1 is now a healthy active 10yo.

Tumtitum Sun 09-Oct-16 17:03:22

Poo sounds normal. Is she dropping centiles? They're not supposed to worry unless they nosedive across two percentiles. DD has fluctuated between 2nd and 9th (born 25th) but has always been super contented and alert so I would let that be your guide! I'm sure there are good ones but most of the health visitors I've met haven't been that great so I would take their concern with a pinch of salt!! DD is now 8 months and we have started her on the odd bottle of formula. She rarely drinks the amount she is "supposed" to so I think it just goes to show she has a small appetite! Definitely don't stop breastfeeding if you don't want to.

Bumptittybump Sun 09-Oct-16 17:17:20

Mine were not exclusively but 90% breastfed and both pooed about once a week too. Not constipated at all, did not appear to cause them any pain or discomfort. We were told it's common and not to worry. If there are concerns about weight gain and you don't think it's her diet or your medication, I would see GP and ask for possible causes & courses of action. Some HVs talk a load of rubbish, I def wouldn't take any decisions on your own medication without first talking with gp.

MadrigalElectromotive Sun 09-Oct-16 18:50:56

Sorry - didn't mean to post and run. Baby woke up.

Thanks for the advice - it's really good to know it's normal for them to poo infrequently. Dd doesn't seem in any discomfort at all so I'm going to stop worrying about that.

As for her weight - the GP isn't concerned. She's dropped about a centile but she's alert and meeting her milestones so he said that he wasn't worried about it. He also assured me that it would be safe to continue to bf whilst taking the Sertraline.

It's just the hv - she puts doubts in my mind and makes me feel like I'm not doing the best for dd - she said it was a shame that dd was being exposed to the Sertraline unnecessarily, by being bf when she could be ff, and seems much more concern d about Dd's weight than the GP.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 09-Oct-16 18:54:19

Your HV sounds utterly unhelpful. In your position I'd trust the Gp and carry on as you are.

Turneeps Mon 10-Oct-16 16:55:20

EBF 5 month old baby here too. She used to poop several times a day and now down to poop every 7 - 10 days. Also dropped from 75th to 40th percentile.
I have not been told to stop BF. Only 4 weeks till food introduced anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now