Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding possible 2 months postpartum? Desperate

(5 Posts)
Filsaney Sun 09-Oct-16 10:39:27

Hi all. My DD1 is 2 months now and started her on the bottle immediately after her first few hours of failed BF'ing. I had a complicated pregnancy where my pituitary gland went crazy and grew too large until it stopped producing hormones in 3rd trimester. Was in hospital for a month when I was finally diagnosed with panhypopituitarism. Needless to say, I wasn't producing prolactin for milk let down. Was a really tough time coming to terms with no BF along with all the other complications of no hormones.

Few days ago I went to see my endocrinologist who said my pituitary was shrinking back and the hormones had started being produced albeit in small quantities. I'm hell bent on BF'ding and was wondering if I'm too little too late? Anyone here started BF late?

I do have a breast pump and have been putting DD1 to breast. She's able to latch on and suckle but - no milk- I think. Lately she does gag and look like she about to throw up when I put her to breast. Is something coming out or am I hoping beyond reasonable hope?

Thanks mums

tiktok Sun 09-Oct-16 11:44:02

Google relactation. I have never come across a situation quite like yours but relactation is deffo on the cards from what you say. Call a breastfeeding helpline and get a plan in place. Good luck! The biggest challenge is getting a baby to come to the breast and stay there and your dd is cooperating so this is a great sign.

Weetabixandtoast Sun 09-Oct-16 11:47:29

Pump every 2 hours for a day or so and see if you can start to produce milk. Put your daughter to the boob before every bottle. Drink loads of water. Give it a few days. Don't put any pressure on yourself tho - enjoy putting your daughter to your boob for the skin to skin bonding rather than worrying about whether she's feeding or not.

Kr1stina Sun 09-Oct-16 11:51:28

Some women are able to relactate when they adopt a baby , so it's much more possible for you.

Google adoptive lactation / breast feeding an adopted baby

Weetabixandtoast Sun 09-Oct-16 15:43:54

Ps I had a break of about a week in the first month when my dd got really sick and went into hospital where she was fed by nose tube - not the same as you as I kept up my supply through pumping but it is definitely possible to take a break from breastfeeding and reestablish if the baby is willing. Getting her to latch is def the hardest part.

Hope you can do it!
theleakyboob.com/2011/12/your-guide-to-relactation/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now