2 weeks into nursing strike - any hope?

(4 Posts)
mjas Mon 03-Oct-16 16:57:03

My 13 months old suddenly stopped breastfeeding exactly 2 weeks ago. At first, he would bite after a few sucks and would scream when I took him off. The next day he was still asking to feed, but again would bite almost immediately after latching. After that he would not latch at all. My period came back a week after he stopped feeding, so I guess it was related to that. Now he enjoys drinking the expressed milk from a cup, but I can only get small amount (50ml max at a time) and have no time for expressing more than once or twice a day, so this is not sustainable. He does not qant cow's milk. I know he can get enough diary from other sources, and I try to make sure he does. But I just wonder whether there are any chances he will start breastfeeding again? I tried skin-to-skin, I offer when I can, but he wouldn't even try to latch. The best I got last few days was him licking the milk that I squeezed out. It seems he completely forgot what to do. Not sure why I am posting, just wonder if anyone was through similar strike and got back to breastfeeding? He was still feeding 3-4 times a day before the strike, so I don't think that he was ready to wean.

OhWhatAPalaver Wed 05-Oct-16 09:09:16

My dd was down too one bf at night at this age and with only a small amount of encouragement I weaned her by 14 months so this doesn't seem entirely unusual tbh. Maybe try a different milk in a cup, my dd was allergic to cows milk so we gave her Alpro +1 soya for a while in a cup with straw. But if you are still able to express a bit and he's happy I would just stick with that and introduce different milks when you're ready.

mjas Sat 08-Oct-16 20:17:08

Thank you, OhWhat, I know it is ok to wean now, I just feel very sad that it happened so abruptly and it was distressing for both of us. He loved breastfeeding and was still feeding 3-4 times per day, so I am sure it must have bees a taste or something else which upset him. I still keep expressing twice a day, to give him some breastmilk, but now I lost hope he'll start breasfeeding again himself. So probably should stop and make more effort to encourage him to drink cow's milk... just feels very sad. I breastfed my older boy until he was 2, and he self weaned, but it was a very gradual process. It just happened so unexpectedly... I keep reading about nursing strikes and that babies eventually start feeding again, but now after nearly 3 weeks I really don't think it's going to happen...

OhWhatAPalaver Sun 09-Oct-16 12:03:20

I can imagine having not planned to wean yet it must be an unusual thing to go through for both of you.
Odd that he is happy to have it in a cup but not latch on though. I would've thought it tastes the same either way. Has he had any new teeth recently? Perhaps they could have been causing an issue?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now