Talk

Advanced search

follow on milk

(10 Posts)
bensmissus Thu 29-Sep-16 09:24:37

I've just joined an online survey campaign to try sma pro follow on milk has anyone else tried this milk ?? Ive been using aptomil previously but I find my son who has a bottle at bedtime has had very runny nappies with aptomil I'm thinking of changing his milk .. There is a year between my two youngest children ....the follow on milk I've got is for my baby daughter xx

DocMcFanjo Thu 29-Sep-16 14:27:19

How old is your DS?

I'm pretty sure follow-on milk is a marketing gimmick that is unnecessary. You can use the stage 1 milk for as long as they need formula.

If your DS is under 1 and still needing formula you could try a change to standard SMA (though evidence for changing milk isn't great). If over 1 you could just give normal cow's milk as a drink?

Are the runny nappies a recent thing?

bensmissus Thu 29-Sep-16 14:45:06

He always has runny nappies it was a friend of mine that said recently her daughter used to have reflux when tiny and runny nappies when she was on follow on milk ..do you think first formula fills them up more than follow on milk .my daughter is 8 months so she's just recently gone onto follow on milk I thought it was something to do with nutrition ?? Xx

bensmissus Thu 29-Sep-16 14:54:27

My ds is 21 months he has one bottle of follow on milk😄 at night nowadays X

DocMcFanjo Thu 29-Sep-16 16:34:40

If your DS always had runny nappies it may just be his normal or it could be something else in his diet.

Have a look at this. Some useful tips there.
patient.info/health/toddlers-diarrhoea

RiverTam Thu 29-Sep-16 16:40:28

Over aged 1 they don't need formula, they can just have cows milk. Follow in milk is a marketing gimmick.

SmallBee Thu 29-Sep-16 16:43:46

I never used follow on milk. Bf and first formula up to the age of one, after that full fat cows milk. Its a LOT cheaper. As far as I'm aware follow on milk is wholly unnecessary and potentially only so that the companies in question have a milk product they're actually allowed to advertise. Happy to stand corrected though.

Fuckingbollocksbugger Thu 29-Sep-16 17:00:25

Follow on milk is pointless - just a marketing gimmick. Before 1 they can just have normal formula.

FuzzyOwl Thu 29-Sep-16 17:09:06

Never used follow on and never will. As said, it was designed purely so formula companies could market and advertise as they are not allowed to do so with first milk. A baby/toddler can have first milk from birth until then stop having formula, regardless of what age that is.

FuzzyOwl Thu 29-Sep-16 17:10:37

I've heard follow on milk can be flavoured (vanilla?) so it makes it harder to get babies/toddlers off of it and, therefore, brings in more money to the formula companies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now