Talk

Advanced search

Nanny has given EBF baby formula twice and he seems not well?

(15 Posts)
Fingerland Tue 27-Sep-16 20:21:40

DS is 5 weeks and is EBF. A couple of times the nanny has taken him along with my 2yo while I run errands. Both times she has given him formula while I was out (2nd time was today.)

I realised it's down to a miscommunication we had. I was telling her that worst worst case scenario and I was trapped somewhere overnight, that there was formula in the cupboard in our kitchen, I told her to text me whenever he was hungry and I would come straight back and BF, but she obviously took this, somehow, to mean that she should give him formula when I am not there. Worst of all, we have no sterilisation equipment, so she's just picking 2yo's old bottles out or th cupboard and making up the powder.

Anyway - she gave him 50ml today. I got back and he wasn't hungry but have been feeding him lots this afternoon to keep supply going and returning him to the breast.

Only trouble is he has been screaming all afternoon. Not the kind of screams I've heard before, and going purple. Feeding him has briefly stopped the screaming but it's still an uncharacteristic amount. He is also "leaking" vomit from his mouth every so often. So not a "retch," it's just leaking out.

What would the symptoms be if he had caught an infection from the bottle or the formula?

And, am I correct that I can reverse the effect of the formula feeds on my milk supply by just keeping feeding him?

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 27-Sep-16 20:24:50

Does your nanny know anything about babies??

Orsono Tue 27-Sep-16 20:28:26

A couple of formula feeds won't affect your supply at 5 weeks, just keep feeding him as normal and things will adjust no problem.

The chances of him having picked up an infection are small. It sounds more like his digestion is either just dealing with having had something a bit different, or possibly it's a reaction to you feeding more than usual today. My DS is often dribbly and a bit sicky when he's got a very full tummy!

Fingerland Tue 27-Sep-16 20:28:51

She knows a lot about kids but evidently not about babies.

But criticising her is not helpful now. I just want to know what signs I should be looking for if he is ill from the bottles?

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 27-Sep-16 20:29:15

We have no sterilisation equipment, so she's just picking 2yo's old bottles out or th cupboard and making up the powder

😳😳. That is really not good. Presumably the toddler is in a much faster flow teat than a new born woukd use.

I suspect he is windy and over-fed. Do you have any dentinox? I find that the best for wind type situations

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 27-Sep-16 20:29:58

If he had D&V, you would know. He would be projectile vommiting with constant diarrhoea.

Quodlibet Tue 27-Sep-16 20:31:16

It just sounds as if he has eaten too much and his digestion is having a hard time processing the formula to be honest.
My EBF and slightly refluxy baby 'leaks' milk sometimes if he is overfull.

Stevefromstevenage Tue 27-Sep-16 20:35:38

Did she make up the formula properly. I mean now the formula because obviously the bottles were not sterilised. I am guessing it was the flow of the tears and the formula itself that is not agreeing with him. My mother gave my 4 mth old son EBF 11 ounces of formula when were away 2 hours once and he had been bf up to the gills before we left. I knew then I could never leave him in her charge until he was onto solids. I would suggest the same for your nanny.

Stevefromstevenage Tue 27-Sep-16 20:36:09

Tears = teats

Akire Tue 27-Sep-16 20:38:47

Missing one feed woulnt have any effect on your supply. If he had a large bottle feed and then you have fed him more than you normal would incase your milk was going suddenly dry up that's probable why he's being sick.

eurochick Tue 27-Sep-16 20:45:40

Is she qualified and experienced? I'm pretty horrified by that, tbh (not the occasional formula but the lack of sterilising. And who knows how she made up the formula).

DollyBarton Tue 27-Sep-16 20:51:17

That's a pretty bad nanny to be honest. I think you will find she conveniently doesn't listen to you in future too.

I'd say he'll be fine but she really shouldn't have been using an unsterilised bottle on a 5month old, especially as it's not her child as she was minding him as a supposed professional.

I'd be pretty pissed off.

Artandco Tue 27-Sep-16 20:57:46

I don't think the nanny was wrong. If baby at 5 weeks is left you should be leaving with milk or taking with you. If she calls you back and your 45 mins away what is supposed to do? Leave baby screaming?

The milk was the pre made type in bottles you say so no issues with formul prep

Baby bottles don't need sterlising, most the world doesn't apart from uk. Hot soapy water is fine

The only thing was fast flowing teat, but if you didn't leave an alternative what should she have used?

She only gave 50ml so presumably just enough to placate him until she thought you would return

I would buy a small bottle and teat and leave for her. Instructing her that if you gone more than 90mins she is allowed to feed baby if they are hungry

Fingerland Tue 27-Sep-16 22:40:53

Thank you for all replies. I feel reassured about the over fed thing and really thankful for your advice. And to be honest I really blame myself with this one as I was not clear enough with her and I must have confused her by showing her the formula.

bigmamapeach Wed 28-Sep-16 15:10:32

Do his poos and wee's look ok? Ie, poo is not watery, copious poo all the time; does it look normal consistency and frequency? If so, baby prob ok, if prpb with poo and concern poss diorrhea, suggest gp. Also expecting usual no of wet nappies if fewer wet nappies can suggest dehydration, again can occur with d and v and again gp. Otherwise if you are happy baby is well, just need to work out how to manage the nanny scenario!!!
If you only missed the odd feed, your supply should be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now