Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding with large nipples

(13 Posts)
BettyOBarley Mon 26-Sep-16 19:41:25

Does anyone have any tips / best feeding positions etc. please?

My DS was born yesterday afternoon and I'm struggling to get him to latch properly as my nipples are quite large and practically fill his entire mouth so I'm finding it hard to get him to open his mouth wide enough to get enough nipple/breast in.

I've only been feeding one day but I've already got a blister on one nipple and the other one is bleeding and both very sore.

I'm waiting for a call from the feeding consultant as he has a rear tongue tie but the midwife said it shouldn't affect his feeding?

Thanks!

Tumtitum Mon 26-Sep-16 19:45:20

Hey Betty! I have large nipples and used to laugh when I read things about the baby getting most of it in their mouth! No chance...
My rear TT do you mean posterior? My DD had this and it affected how much she could get in her mouth as she had a very shallow latch, resulting in pain, bleeding etc.
In my experience having the TT release helped but what helped most was DD's head growing... It got much better around 8 weeks!!

BettyOBarley Mon 26-Sep-16 19:55:20

Yes sorry, posterior..he also has a lip tie.
The midwife at the hospital said the tongue tie should be fine and wouldn't affect feeding but the midwife who came to the house today seemed surprised by that, so maybe it is the tie that's the problem.

He just seems to only be able to fit my nipple in as they are so big and then is sucking on the end of it which is really painful!

JammyDodger16 Mon 26-Sep-16 19:59:29

Are your breasts large too? I have large nipples and breasts and found rugby hold was the only way.

BettyOBarley Mon 26-Sep-16 20:02:06

Yes they are Jammy - G cup.
I have been using that hold today as o remembered it from feeding my DD (who I also had all these problems with) and it does seem to work better, plus I don't feel like I'm suffocating him!

JammyDodger16 Mon 26-Sep-16 20:07:40

It really worked for me - I am a JJ and was an L cup when feeding - either with my leg to the side for dd to lie on, or a pillow. Much easier

Trulymadlymotherly Mon 26-Sep-16 20:08:13

I have very large boobs and large nipples. My son also had a ptt. Your midwife is wrong-it can affect feeding as the middle portion of the tongue is used to 'milk'. Things improved for us once ds had big tt released.

Regarding nipple size it is unrealistic to expect your baby's moth to cover the whole areola as suggested in books/leaflets. I found a cross cradle hold using a boppy pillow allowed me to support my breast (otherwise the weight of it pulled the nipple out of his mouth) and to compress a little in a c-hold (google it if you're not already aware). Feeding lying down was also good once we got the hang of it.

It was a bit of a struggle at the start but he's now 9mo and EBF so it is possible 😊

Trulymadlymotherly Mon 26-Sep-16 20:09:11

his tt not big!

Saltlake Mon 26-Sep-16 20:13:03

Agree you can't get the whole nipple in.

I can recall weeping with DC1 after one MW told me was doing it wrong and I had to get the whole nipple in.

Next MW came in, and I tremulously asked her what should do as I couldn't see how to get any more nipple in and that particular latch looked good. Very sweet, very young MW was searching for a way to tactfully tell me there was no chance they were ever going to fully fit in DCs mouth.

Saltlake Mon 26-Sep-16 20:14:19

Also use Lansinoh for sore nipples, and those very firm breastfeeding cushions are great for supporting the baby whilst you sort out and maintain the latch.

BettyOBarley Tue 27-Sep-16 13:34:41

Thank you all so much for your advice!
I've ordered a firmer bf pillow, some more lanisoh and am using multi-mam compresses!

Last night he fed pretty much constantly for 10 hours from 9pm til 7am with only a 10 min break inbetween feeds. His nappies don't feel particularly wet so I'm worrying a bit if he is getting enough milk... The whole of a feed on the right side is excruciating.

Think I will chase up the feeding person actually.

Saltlake Tue 27-Sep-16 20:44:35

That sounds like a good idea. Hope things improve. Shredded nipples are sometimes painful. It does get better with Lansinoh, promise.
Good luck, and congratulations.

Tumtitum Tue 27-Sep-16 22:28:37

Also Betty if it's really excrutiating use nipple shields. Honestly the modern ones don't affect supply and the worst case scenario is that your little one never learns to latch without and you always have to use them, but I doubt it as they will relearn their latch once the TT is released. Honestly I would not still be breastfeeding now (at nearly 8 months) if we hadn't used nipples shields for the first two whilst my nipples healed and she learnt to latch again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now