Talk

Advanced search

Newborn - cluster feeding then going longer stretches - should I wake?

(9 Posts)
Kmxxx14 Sat 24-Sep-16 07:52:22

My newborn (5 day old) has been feeding very frequently the past two days - which I know is normal but what I don't know is normal is that she goes 4 hours at night. I'm not sure if I should wake her? Or express my milk to up my supply?

During the day she'll be off and on my boob most of the day. Between 8-11 last night she was mostly on. But then I went to bed at 11 expecting to be up in an hour or two and she woke up at 3am. I fed her for 25 mins and she fell asleep until 7am.

So basically my question is whether this is ok and the cluster feeding is making up for the longer stretches or should I wake her/pump even tho she's happy & sleeping.

When BF my son I remember it being very constant even during the night. I felt exhausted So this just seems a bit wrong & I'm worried about my milk supply now.

ParsnipSoup Sat 24-Sep-16 07:54:14

All babies are different. If she's weeing and pooing normally and still feeding lots in the day I wouldn't worry. If you're still concerned you could keep a closer eye on her weight to make sure she's growing.

Kmxxx14 Sat 24-Sep-16 08:03:27

Thanks.

She's not pooed for 2 days although the midwife did say this was considered "normal" for BF babies. She has had plenty of wet nappies and has lost 3% of her birth weight.

Kmxxx14 Sat 24-Sep-16 08:22:10

Meant to say in last message - I'm not too worried about her, just more concerned about my milk supply & whether these longer stretches will impact it.

Orsono Sat 24-Sep-16 11:35:26

5 days old seems quite early to go two days without pooing - it is normal, but I thought it was only when a baby is a few weeks older. Had her poo turned yellow the last time she pooed?

How about giving one of the breastfeeding helplines a ring?

Kmxxx14 Sat 24-Sep-16 11:50:02

No her last poo was still very black which was during the early hours on Thursday.

I might do that, thanks.

fionnthedog Sat 24-Sep-16 13:17:39

I wouldn't allow her to go more than 4 hours between feeds at such a small age - so would definitely set an alarm if you think there's a chance she might keep sleeping. If she's at all jaundice or very small then would say 3 hours max.

Assuming your milk's come in then you should be fine supply wise with one or two 3/4 hour gaps (and enjoy it whilst it lasts!!) and make sure lots of feeds at other times (which it seems like you're doing!!)

Is there an update? If you're at all worried about baby then ring your MW.

Orsono Sat 24-Sep-16 16:10:01

I would actually call your midwife for advice today - poo would normally change from black meconium to yellow milk poo by day three or four, so no yellow poo by day five and a couple of days of no poo at this stage. is definitely something to get checked out. It might be that you need to get her latch checked to make sure she's taking milk efficiently.

Kmxxx14 Sat 24-Sep-16 21:10:00

Thanks everyone.

Called my MW who said she would come out tomorrow to weigh her again but as long as she wasn't in pain she wasn't too worried.

About an hour after the phone all she done a very big poo - all over her clothes & back so I'm glad about that. It was brown however & not yellow so still not completely happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now