I know you shouldn't compare but...

(4 Posts)
maybethedayafter Mon 12-Sep-16 14:07:33

My friend's baby is smaller than mine and younger than mine yet my daughter feeds pretty much constantly whereas hers has less frequent feeds and for less time.

My daughter is 5 weeks corrected (12 weeks actual) and she never really seems to gulp or swallow when she's feeding. She will sometimes but not at every feed. I'm quite certain that she does suck for comfort and with me she will only ever feed to sleep (she will go to sleep for other people).

Paranoia and self-doubt are creeping in. Will she ever feed less frequently? How do I know if she's getting milk if I don't see her swallowing? Do I need to be worrying about any of this?

SpeakNoWords Mon 12-Sep-16 16:23:21

How is her weight gain - is she following her own curve on the chart? Is she having regular wet and dirty nappies?

maybethedayafter Mon 12-Sep-16 16:31:33

Regular wet and dirty nappies yes. I haven't had her weighed for a little while as I haven't been able to get to the clinic.

SpeakNoWords Mon 12-Sep-16 16:40:49

I'm sure she will feed less frequently soon. My DS is 12 weeks old and is beginning to go longer periods between feeds. At 5 weeks corrected your baby is still relatively "young" and so frequent feeding would still be expected.

Maybe take her to be weighed if you can just to see how she's getting on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now