Breast to bottle

(11 Posts)
Mojito6 Sun 11-Sep-16 21:25:34

Hi
Just after some bottle feeding advice. I've decided I'm done with Breast feeding my 4 month old dc. I know advice is to Feed for at least 6 months but don't think I can carry on
I do how we have some bottle feeding questions
There seems to be loads of different methods of preparing a bottle what's the best way to do this? I've seen those machines, advice to boil a kettle and leave it 30 mins, preparing bottles in advance, not preparing in advance etc....which is best??
Also, when going out for the day how do you make up bottles when youre out?
This is my second baby but seem to have forgotten all of this from my first dc so feel clueless!!!

tiktok Tue 13-Sep-16 10:09:39

Check NHS bottle feeding pages for the current guidance. The main thing to be careful about is to make sure powder hits hot water while it is still 70 deg c.

Your Hv should help, too.

Mojito6 Tue 13-Sep-16 18:23:27

Thanks for the reply! I will check that out and ask the hv, wasn't sure if they would help or just still try and encourage Breast feeding

tiktok Wed 14-Sep-16 12:03:52

It's part of their job to ensure that all babies who have formula have formula that's prepared safely. Your Hv might well ask about how BF could go better for you and that's to ensure you are making a choice that you're happy with, but she should not be judgmental about it smile

melibu84 Wed 14-Sep-16 12:13:41

I usually make up 6 bottles in advance. Just prepare as per instructions then stick them to the back of the fridge, as it's the coldest part. They're good for 24 hours

melibu84 Wed 14-Sep-16 12:14:51

Forgot to mention, all Manufacturers will include instructions on the packaging

Mojito6 Wed 14-Sep-16 22:15:48

Sorry I missed these replies, silly question but how do you then warm the bottles back up from being premade do you use a bottle warmer?

welshweasel Wed 14-Sep-16 22:19:28

Use ready made formula when out, at room temperature. At home (for a 7oz bottle) boil kettle, put 2oz boiled water in bottle, add formula, top up with 5oz tap water (now DS over 6 months) or cooled booked water from a container that gets refilled during the day. It's not recommended to prepare in advance and to be honest never really thought it would be easier.

Mojito6 Wed 14-Sep-16 22:22:52

Thank you, all very helpful advice and replies!

GipsyDanger Wed 14-Sep-16 22:26:00

Two words for you. Perfect prep. I switched from ebf to formula around 4/5 months to.

Mojito6 Wed 14-Sep-16 22:30:36

Ah OK, I have heard of those but wasn't sure if worth the money at this stage but interesting to hear you got one at s si.jlsr stage

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now