Talk

Advanced search

Getting 12 months old to eat fish?

(18 Posts)
Lalunya85 Sun 11-Sep-16 18:44:23

She eats pretty much everything else:any fruit and vegetable I put in front of her, pasta, rice, wholemeal bread, yogurt and sugar free cereal, chicken, beef and ham.
Except fish. I keep offering it to her every week when the rest of the family have it ever since she was around 8 months old. She will put it in her mouth and she always spits it out. It's usually salmon but I have tried white fish a couple of times too.

Any ideas? Should I just give up and be happy that she's a good eater otherwise? Does anybody know if there's any food I could offer her instead to make sure she gets all the nutrients she needs?

Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
WineandDine Fri 16-Sep-16 15:29:44

How about trying a baby friendly kedgeree type dish? Seems to go down well with my one year old!

Highlove Fri 16-Sep-16 20:20:57

Mine wolfs down a lovely, creamy fish pie. Tuna mayo is always a huge hit, though appreciate tinned loses some of the goodness. Smoked mackerel pate goes down well. And obviously fish fingers!

Oh - like yours, she won't eat fish in it's 'fish' form either. But actually if it doesn't look like fish, she likes the flavour.

Fishcakes would be worth a try, too.

Highlove Fri 16-Sep-16 20:23:45

But I'd also say that as she's otherwise a good eater, I wouldn't stress over it. But would keep offering in different guises - their tastes change so much at that point.

Twistergeese Fri 16-Sep-16 20:25:55

Hot smoked salmon?

EsmesBees Fri 16-Sep-16 20:27:24

I wouldn't stress either. She will probably grow into liking it. Mine won't eat plain fish but will have it in a fish pie or cake.

Artandco Fri 16-Sep-16 20:28:55

Have you tried other fish or seafood?

Prawns
Squid
Mussels
Clams
Seabass

minatiae Fri 16-Sep-16 20:32:07

Maybe she just doesn't like fish. It's not an essential part of a diet so I'd probably leave it.

NannyR Fri 16-Sep-16 20:32:20

The kids I look after will eat fish, but they never look like they are enjoying it, I recently gave them smoked mackerel warmed up in the microwave served with new potatoes and green beans and they all wolfed it down and asked for seconds. I've served it a couple of times since and had the same reaction. Its an incredibly quick easy meal and the oily fish is really good for them too.

I often have the tins of mackerel in tomato sauce with toast for lunch and when the youngest was a baby he really enjoyed 'sharing' it with me.

Buttwing Fri 16-Sep-16 20:33:04

I make homemade fish fingers. Fillet of cod or salmon sliced into fingers, dip in egg, dip in homemade breadcrumbs then fry in a little olive oil. All mine love them I'm quite partial too!

MrsDc7 Fri 16-Sep-16 20:35:43

I do the same as buttwing, except I oven cook mine. If you let her be involved in the making process you may find she eats them. Mine love them teamed with low salt/sugar beans xx

idontlikealdi Fri 16-Sep-16 20:41:58

Maybe she just doesn't like it.

At the grand old age of 38 I hate fish, just can't eat it, never have done, not even as a baby. My mum still gets on at me to just 'try a bit of smoked mackerel'. I can't think of a worse thing to try and get a non fish eater to eat!

If her diet is otherwise good and it sounds like it is I wouldn't worry.

happyinthesunshine Fri 16-Sep-16 21:00:51

I had success with home made fish cakes with white fish mixed in a processor and combined with mash until fine textured. Fried and served with peas and ketchup.
Or white fish in flakes in cheese sauce and mash. My two ate this but I had to call the latter dish 'magic chicken pie' as they don't eat fish!

allypally1983 Fri 16-Sep-16 21:09:50

My DD used to love white fish and cheese sauce, also prawns and smoked mackerel(boneless/skinless).

Angeliqueinquest Fri 16-Sep-16 21:48:16

Home made fish pie mixed with a few baked beans at first then on its own with veg, sons loved it since god knows when. (He also loves ready made fish pie)

GailTheFish Sat 17-Sep-16 06:33:57

Would she eat it in a pasta sauce? Tomato tuna pasta is a big hit here for my 12 month old, as is cod with cheese and pasta.

OhWhatAPalaver Sat 17-Sep-16 08:47:12

My dd loves tuna butties, fish pie and fish fingers. Wouldn't touch salmon with a barge pole though!

LIZS Sat 17-Sep-16 08:57:01

Mash it into potato or other veg.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in