Talk

Advanced search

Switching to formula - a quick question

(8 Posts)
tappitytaptap Fri 09-Sep-16 19:30:46

I apologise in advance for the paranoid 1st time mum post grin.
I've been BFing DS for 5.5 months with a bottle of formula a day since 4 months. He generally feeds 7 times each 24 hours including the formula feed. At the FF, he takes between 100 and 150ml, but not more than that. Shortly I will be switching him over to formula and know that formula fed babies of his age generally take say 5 7oz bottles. Will DS 'learn' to take a bigger feed once formula fed? I am a slightly anxious person so one thing that has been great about breastfeeding is not knowing how much he's had. He's growing well (2nd centile at birth to approx 75th now) so must be getting 'enough'. Please could someone reassure me that he'll continue to get 'enough' when he's formula fed. I can imagine getting really stressed about the amounts taken. Does amount taken even matter...do I just make up a bottle, give him however much he wants and not bother to 'tot it up' so to speak? I guess what I'm trying to say is that I worry he'll eat less formula, just because of the size of bottle he takes at the moment, and will start dropping centiles. I'm a little more anxious around weight than I should be as the HV was a bit twitchy when he was born so light.
Thanks.

jimijack Fri 09-Sep-16 19:39:14

Hello,
Every baby is different as are adults. I might have a much smaller appetite to you. Baby might have a smaller appetite than the next baby of the same age.

So, the thing to do is see how he goes for a week then get him weighed. His weight remains s stable and increases, good.
Consider these things: regular wet nappies, right good poos regularly, think though that his bowels may change a bit when fully formula feeding. This is completely normal.
You will be thinking of seeming over the next few weeks, so he will get e tram from lovely food too.

Most of all remember what a fabulous job you are doing....cos really..you are x flowers halo

jimijack Fri 09-Sep-16 19:40:12

Weening not seeming!!!

Littleelffriend Fri 09-Sep-16 19:46:00

My lo doesn't take nearly as much as she should on paper. She's over 4 months and barely takes 100ml per feed, but she's following her centile chart perfectly.

tappitytaptap Fri 09-Sep-16 19:47:33

Thanks jimijack! We have started weaning, but just a couple of spoons of veg puree so nothing serious yet and he is a bit bemused by food I think. A bit is going in by the evidence of nappies and orange sick though!
That is how I've felt comfortable about breastfeeding without knowing the amounts - wet nappies, poos, and occasional weighing (am very careful not to get hung up on this too frequently though!). I'm guessing he will tell me if he's hungry though grin. Just needed a bit of reassurance. Have never heard of a baby switching to formula and dropping weight though so not sure why I'm worried about it...feel like I have to be worried about something sometimes! wink

tappitytaptap Fri 09-Sep-16 19:48:11

Littleelffriend, thats very reassuring, thankyou.

Heirhelp Fri 09-Sep-16 19:52:43

We moved to formula at 7 weeks due to breast feeding problems. There were times about 5 weeks ago when she was having 10oz at a time and then last week she was only have 1oz for breakfast. I have learnt to treat the same as breast feeding by only worrying about outputs and checking her weight once a month which is fine.

You will need to check you have the correct size teat on the bottle as if it is too small a howl they will get lazy and give up.

tappitytaptap Fri 09-Sep-16 20:03:19

Heirhelp - thanks, your approach sounds very sensible. Sounds like amounts can vary massively then! I moved up from the size 1 teat to size 2 a few weeks ago which helped him take the bottle much more quickly than he had been doing - as it was taking him longer than a breastfeed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now