Talk

Advanced search

Mastitis Help!

(12 Posts)
IssMc Thu 08-Sep-16 23:06:38

So this morning I woke with a lumpy breast and developed a fever, shaking, difficulty breathing and threw up quite a lot but after that felt alot better. Boob was a bit pink when I saw the doc but she couldnt find a lump anymore so figured it had come to the surface and was shifting but I think now it was just hiding! Breast is much redder and a major lump just behind my nipple so I have been pumping and it looks really weird. The lump is right behind my nibble and golfball sized and as I have been pumping my nipple has doubled or more in size. Its like it all wants to come out in a lump (obv. ridiculous but thats how it looks.) I dont know if I should carry on or not. Is this normal? Is there a point in mastitis when you shouldn't pump? Could this be an abscess? Or am I just not pumping right? I am freaking out a bit so would love advice. Might be a little bit hysterical. Need a cuppa.

hownottofuckup Thu 08-Sep-16 23:11:57

Umm, I'm not sure! I didn't get an abscess luckily and fed through mine with antibiotics and a lot of weeping/biting down on a wooden spoon. I would definitely make another appointment in the morning to be seen that day. How far PP are you? Could you ring the labour ward for advice?

redcaryellowcar Thu 08-Sep-16 23:18:05

I think you need a gp appointment urgently, call first thing tomorrow morning. For now, I think the treatment for mastitis is rest, compress and express, you might find sitting in a warm bath with warm flannels will help, or if you happen to have a couple of cabbage leaves to tick inside your bra this is also supposed to help. you need to keep gently expressing so as not to make it worse and end up completely engorged, if you can breastfeed from the sore side (and the not sore side too) do, and some mums have managed to position the baby so the lump is near/ under their chin and the baby has managed to work it free? I'm not completely certain but I think a couple of paracetamol would help and aren't considered harmful (my ds is five so I suppose these guidelines might have been updated) if you have a temperature obviously getting this down will help. Hope you are soon feeling better, I had mastitis and it was beastly.

IssMc Thu 08-Sep-16 23:21:05

Hi thanks so much! I'll make another appointment. Wonder if it will hide again. Well I am 16 months PP! Last time I had this baby was littler and I just fed and fed and fed through the night but she sleeps through now which is amazing and not to be messed with.

DearTeddyRobinson Thu 08-Sep-16 23:25:08

Pump and feed as much as you can.
Also can you bear to sort of knead/massage the lump? You basically need to push the blocked milk out iyswim so knead the lump towards the nipple as you are pumping.
I had mastitis twice, it's vile, but then I really learned how to deal with my boobs! Get the blockage out and keep an eye out for any more sore lumps.
Hang in there, it's so tough but it will settle down flowerschocolatecake

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Thu 08-Sep-16 23:26:02

Do you have a pump? Otherwise hand expressing. I was told in the shower of face down in a warm bath are best for mastitis.

You do have antibiotics, don't know?

Sorry you're dealing with this. Mastitis is absolutely horrible!

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Thu 08-Sep-16 23:26:20

Of = or...

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Thu 08-Sep-16 23:27:20

Know = you. Ffs.

IssMc Thu 08-Sep-16 23:34:52

Hi, yes antibiotics on board. Thanks all. Following all the advice (considering sending DH out for cabbage.) Its just so grim looking at my weird shaped boob. I am wondering if the pump just fits badly and if so is that sort of like wearing an ill fitting bra?

SecretSpy Thu 08-Sep-16 23:37:16

It can be, if the flange is a poor fit. Some pumps have different sizes available that you can from the spares stockists.

popthisoneout Thu 08-Sep-16 23:42:04

As you're 16 months in, I would be reluctant to express too much as you'll end up with masses of milk which won't help things.

Ibuprofen (if you can take it) will help reduce the inflammation. Then I would concentrate on unblocking the duct and see the GP first thing.

It's a bit labour intensive but worth the effort to lie in a warm bath with the effected breast submerged and gently hand express to try and release the blockage, then apply a cold compress once out the bath to reduce the swelling. Water logged sanitary towels put in the freezer are ideal as they bend round your boob. Just pop them in a muslin before you apply to the skin. Then repeat as necessary and hopefully it should clear.

Heratnumber7 Thu 08-Sep-16 23:45:35

ABs are you're friend. I had two lots, second stronger than. First, and still ended up as emergency op to have an abscess drained under GA. I have a love!y nipple scar to prove it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now