Talk

Advanced search

When to pump

(4 Posts)
Artiepants Thu 08-Sep-16 09:02:53

I have a 10 wk old DD and am exclusively breastfeeding. I also have a 7yo DD and a 5 yo DD so life is busyyyyyy.

I was thinking of pumping some milk to free me up a little if I need to leave the baby with Daddy for an hour or so if I have to do something with one of my other daughters, or maybe for an evening feed. I have never pumped before and I am feeling baffled as to when I can do it as I cant pump just after a feed as she will have had the milk...and before a feed I can't as then I will have used the supply she would have had, IYSWIM. I know it is possible as so many people do it but I can't get my head round it.

Any advice welcome - when do you pump and how do you fit it in?

I am tempted not to bother as it seems so much faff. But then I really want to have the option.

Thanks in advance!

KP86 Thu 08-Sep-16 09:12:31

If you pump straight after a feed you may not get much but you will be encouraging production. Another idea is to pump about an hour after the feed, which will do the same thing.

But you could end up with over supply if you keep that up. Maybe do small amounts, say 20-30ml after feeds a few times to get enough for one bottle, then you can pump at feed time and give the already-done bottle and save your new milk for next time - hopefully you'll get more than one bottle's worth and you can keep adding to the stash.

Hope that makes sense!

Sunshinegirl82 Fri 09-Sep-16 23:28:15

I have found pumping after the first morning feed to be most effective. I tend to have reasonably full boobs in the morning, feed baby when he wakes and then pump as soon as poss thereafter. I can usually get enough for a feed that way. I found I got less if I tried pumping later on in the day.

Just as an aside, I have found it better to pump and store the milk in bags of no more than about 3oz as otherwise you can end up with waste, especially if defrosting milk. Good luck!

Ningnang2000 Fri 09-Sep-16 23:33:50

Hi. I pumped after the bedtime feed every night for a week and built up a enough for one feed over the week. Then I got dh to give that as a ebm bedtime bottle feed whilst I expressed a full feed. We did this for a while as I always seemed to express a feed and a bit more every time. I banked the bit more in the freezer until I was happy I had enough for emergencies, nights out and hangovers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now