Talk

Advanced search

Vasospasm - anyone got any experience?

(8 Posts)
Highlove Sun 04-Sep-16 20:07:43

So I've started a few threads in the lady few days. In brief: in four weeks into BFing DC2 and it really bloody hurts. She had a TT snip over a week ago which has improved things a bit but latch is still a bit shallow. Partly I think it's because I've got big nipples and her mouth as yet is fundamentally a bit small for them!

Pain is not easing though. It can last through the whole feed and is a burning sensation. When she comes off my nipples are misshapen. Shortly after they turn white and over a period will turn purplish before going back to normal. And there will be an I tense ache deep in the boob. According to an extensive Google, this sounds like vasospasms.

I'm seeing BF supporters to work on the latch. Meanwhile, does anyone know anything that might help with this - it is really, really bloody painful. I'm increasingly pretty down about the whole thing and feeling like I'm not sure I can go on. Would really welcome any advice,

Highlove Sun 04-Sep-16 20:09:09

Sorry - on phone and loads of typos - hope it makes enough sense to follow!

mrswishywashy Sun 04-Sep-16 20:21:28

I had it in November last year with my baby. Worst pain, there is a medication nifidpene which GP can prescribe. And try and keep noppose warm.

Highlove Sun 04-Sep-16 20:33:31

Ah, thank you. Did the GP take you seriously? And had heard of it? I'm afraid my experience of GPs and BFing isn't great, but I'll give it a try.

How long did you take it for? How quickly did it take effect? Did it allow you to keep on BFing?

nearlyreadytopop Sun 04-Sep-16 20:55:16

I had it with both children. GP wasn't keen to prescribe, even with a lot of info I printed of Dr Jack Newmans site.
In the end we got by with heat. I had those little hand warmers for my nips. Not getting cold definitely helps.

Highlove Sun 04-Sep-16 22:26:13

Thanks nearlyready. Did it go away eventually or did you just manage it?

alicebiscuits Sun 04-Sep-16 22:34:30

Had similar problems, used hot flannels and milk itself to help ease pain. Eventually it eased, bit not pain free til 3 months - after that was sooo easy and convenient. No regrets keeping on and no idea why it stopped hurting when it did. GP was not helpful, la leche league were.

nearlyreadytopop Sun 04-Sep-16 22:56:51

It went away eventually. First 6 months were tough, but I fed him until 18 months.
I also found a gentle pressure from my hand helped with the sting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now