Talk

Advanced search

Pain on one side throughout feeds, sometimes afterwards too, any ideas?

(4 Posts)
Highlove Wed 31-Aug-16 04:58:29

DC2 is 3 weeks. EBF. We've had a rough start and among other things she had a posterior TT snipped late last week. It's certainly helped and she's pretty much perfect on my left breast now, on both sides she has a more effective suck/swallow pattern and is gaining weight now. BUT my right boob is really painful - really hurts when she latches and continues to feel like it's in a clamp the whole way through a feed. The actual boob sometimes aches quite intensely for a short while afterwards. Her latch seems pretty good (though I have to be strict about not letting her hang off my nipples - am sure that will improve over time) and the early damage and cracks caused by the TT issues have healed nicely.

We're having a bit of a bad night tonight as I now can't really get her to feed off that side either. She latches on then doesn't really do anything, a few sucks then 'nibbles'. I'm now getting a bit stressed about it all, which is not helping either. And I've just lost my shut at DH for trying to help.

I'm going to try and talk to a BF counsellor ASAP but any thoughts on what it might be or what to do?

Worth mentioning that I've been on antibiotics for ten days so thrush crossed my mind. But I can't see any evidence of it in her mouth and my nipples are a bit pink but I don't think remarkably so.

Would really appreciate any advice - thanks.

Newmanwannabe Wed 31-Aug-16 05:11:27

Thrush is rare, Have you tried the "flipple". Yes. It's a thing. Helps you get a deeper patch. There's lots on Google/YouTube. See if that helps....

Newmanwannabe Wed 31-Aug-16 05:11:49

Latch. Not patch

Highlove Wed 31-Aug-16 09:36:04

Thanks. I've seen the flipple but never really managed it. But do use the nipple sandwich sometimes if she's not opening wide enough. It's getting better since TT snip though. Latch looks ok though so it may be a positioning thing? But also have this pain inside the boob after feeds, though like I say am not convinced it's thrush. I can't remember if this was something I experienced with DC1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now