Talk

Advanced search

Shit shit shit I've fed my baby spoiled milk, will she get ill?

(6 Posts)
Throughautomaticdoors Wed 17-Aug-16 04:22:15

Dd is nearly 8 months and has expressed breast milk. We are on holiday at the moment and it's bloody hard work to know how much breast milk to take out in the day with us because it's so awful throwing it out of it doesn't get drunk.
Today I took some milk out with me in my cool bag with the freezer blocks in it and it was out of the fridge for about 3 hours. When we got back it still felt cold so I put it back in the fridge to use first. Dd has just woken for a feed and drank about an ounce and a half and then refused it, which is unusual. Smelt it and it smelt slightly vomity, not like it usually smells. I'm not convinced as to how cold the fridge is here either to be honest but I don't know what else to do since she only has expressed milk not formula. I got her some more milk and she drank another 5oz but what should I do? Have I poisoned her? I'm such a useless mother, next time I all just throw out any milk that's been out of the fridge at all. It was very hot today outside so I guess maybe even the cold bag with the freezer blocks didn't work.

Any advise? I'm so hopeless.

MoreGilmoreGirls Wed 17-Aug-16 04:28:54

Don't panic I'm sure if it was properly off she'd have been sick. At 8 months they are usually putting all sorts in their mouths.

AnnieOnnieMouse Wed 17-Aug-16 04:31:41

Don't worry. She didn't like it, refused it, and you gave her other milk. IF there is anything wrong with it, she'd just have thrown it up, and then be fine.
There is an enormous difference between anything that has simply gone off a bit, and something that is actively poisonous.
IMO you are an amazing mother to be expressing milk, keeping it cool with freezer blocks, etc.
Please, give yourself a break, and flowers [chocolates] for being so caring. I remember the absolute upset of throwing away hard produced milk, or it being vomited up.

Throughautomaticdoors Wed 17-Aug-16 04:31:58

I've taken it out for longer than three hours in the cool bag before and used it no problem but it was particularly hot today I guess. If it hadn't felt cold when I took it out I wouldn't have attempted to reuse it but it was still cold enough that I'd have had to warm it through for dd to drink. It definitely smelled off though when I checked. Not like horrifyingly bad but with a slight undertone of a vomity smell.
I'm most worried about the bacteria that might be in it. Dd has gone back to sleep but I'm too worried to do so.

Throughautomaticdoors Wed 17-Aug-16 04:33:21

Thank you. I just really really hope I haven't made her ill. She was half asleep which might be why she drank some before refusing it, maybe she didn't particularly notice at first.

MoreGilmoreGirls Wed 17-Aug-16 10:10:03

Hope she's all fine this morning OP flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now