Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bf baby (4.5mo) won't take bottle and return to work is approaching

(9 Posts)
PenelopeChipShop Mon 15-Aug-16 19:17:09

Hi, I'm sure this thread has been done many times but I couldn't find much in a search.

My 4.5mo DD is EBF and I start back at work on 5 sept so got three weeks I think. I've been trying to introduce bottles for the last 2 weeks and no joy. What do I DO?

She just seems very confused when I offer. Others have tried too but she just cried. At the weekend I went out for a whole morning, definitely over the time she'd normally feed. She just waited til I got in. Should I just go out for longer and leave her with DH and a bottle? Seems so harsh but I don't know what to do. I offer every day but she just cries and I end up bf her.

Cinnamon2013 Mon 15-Aug-16 19:21:27

I'm in the same situation, it's hard. My health visitor told me to skip the bottle and try with a sippy cup. No luck so far but we're persevering.

Ohwoolballs Mon 15-Aug-16 19:26:42

Hello, my DS refuses a bottle from me and only seems to take from people if I am not in sight.
I'd do a couple of trials with your DP feeding but with you staying away.
It's hard work! Good luck!

tappitytaptap Mon 15-Aug-16 20:09:21

Took us 3-4 weeks of trying every day, couple of different bottles, warmed up formula. Perserverance was the only thing that worked!

PenelopeChipShop Mon 15-Aug-16 20:14:10

Ah sorry to hear I'm not alone! Cinnamon I did try a sippy cup today actually, minus the white thing under the top that slows the flow of milk. She seemed much happier / more interested in that actually but still didn't take anything like a full feed.

My mum is saying to give a few spoons of baby rice or porridge on a spoon just thickened up with my milk or formula so that spoon-feeding is an option. I know early weaning isn't recommended anymore but if it was say 2/3 spoons a day would that be a terrible idea?

(I thjnk I'll head to HV clinic tomorrow to ask but just canvassing opinion!)

Starman16 Mon 15-Aug-16 20:21:24

Perservere with the sippy cup - my bottle-refuser (and also a friends baby) took to the bottle happily after getting used to a sippy cup for a few weeks. It is so frustrating I know! But they seem to get there eventually smile

PenelopeChipShop Tue 16-Aug-16 07:34:30

Tappity tap, did you carry on breastfeeding too or were you just weaning onto bottles? I'd like to carry on but for her to take a bottle in the day but is it less confusing for then to just switch?

tappitytaptap Tue 16-Aug-16 13:43:41

Penelope yes I am still breastfeeding, he just has the one bottle. So not sure on the confusion, however when he's 6 months I plan to switch him to fully formula as I will be returning to work at 8 months and hate expressing/never actually intended to feed this long so am thrilled I'm still doing it (he's 20 weeks). Friends have done more mixed feeding but they tend to switch to bottles within a short amount of time - however lots of people were doing it with a view to switch anyway. Good luck!

Cinnamon2013 Tue 16-Aug-16 19:24:15

Thanks for the tips & good luck OP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now