Talk

Advanced search

Baby feeder for less time and less often

(8 Posts)
PetrovaFossil1 Sun 14-Aug-16 10:16:13

Hi, I have a 4.5month old who is fed on demand. He used to feed for around 20mins every 2.5-3hrs or so.
He now only feeds for 5-10 minutes before refusing any more, and doesn't often demand to be fed (if it's been more than 3.5 hrs I offer it to him and he'll normally feed, but for the shorter time. He feeds once in the middle of the night still.

My question is, is he reducing his feeds for some reason or could he have got more efficient? My breasts often don't feel totally empty after he feeds but he has plenty of wet nappies and one dirty nappy per day plus is tracking the 75th percentile and has been since birth.

I'm concerned my supply will drop if his I take has reduced but I can't physically make him eat more.

PetrovaFossil1 Sun 14-Aug-16 10:16:43

Title should say 'feeding'!

tappitytaptap Sun 14-Aug-16 10:37:49

I have a 4.5 month old too and he has started reducing his feeds in length and slightly spreading them out. As he is still getting the same number of wet and dirty nappies I just presumed more efficient. Other friends have said the same thing so it sounds normal grin

seven201 Mon 15-Aug-16 06:08:15

Mines younger so u don't have any direct experience but I have read that they do get more efficient and feed less.

seven201 Mon 15-Aug-16 06:08:52

' and I not u (should be you anyway)!

Fluffsnuts Mon 15-Aug-16 09:39:00

He's probably got more efficient. Mine did at that age and only had longer feeds when boobing to sleep.

Nan0second Mon 15-Aug-16 09:45:55

Normal! If growing and wet and dirty nappies, you are lucky and have an efficient one smile
Growth spurts may temporarily scupper things and I always had to offer my DD milk rather than wait til she asked as she was very distractable!

PetrovaFossil1 Mon 15-Aug-16 12:54:31

Thanks everyone, good to know! It's very nice to have a decent length of gap between feedings so I can leave him and actually get stuff done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now