Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and expressing

(16 Posts)
Considerphebas Fri 12-Aug-16 09:00:16

Hi
DD was born at 35 weeks and spent 3 weeks in NICU after an operation, for a lot of this time she was given tpn via a long line and then tiny amounts if milk via an ng tube. We've been discharged a week and are bf, she latches well and feeds for around 10-20 minutes then sleeps for 2 hours apart from at night when she frantically feeds for up to 2 hours from 7-9 and i feel like I've got no milk at this point as she gets really frantic and cross. I'm still expressing usually after her morning feeds as DH gives her a bottle at around 11 to keep her able to drink from a bottle so we have a back up and to help keep her weight gain up.
When she was in NICU I could express 80-90 MLS per feed, I'm now struggling to get 30-40 across the day, she often just feeds from one side in the morning so I express the other, and she drinks at least 50-80 at the 11 pm feed so the stash of milk is dwindling. She can't have formula as she also has a cows milk protein allergy and awful reflux. I also have a four year old so taking to bed to feed all day isn't possible. Her weight gain is very, very slow and hv is keen to top up with more expressed milk but I have no idea how I'd get more and if I encourage her to have a second side in the morning when she's finished she's inevitability sick .
That's a bit of an essay but really what i want is any experience in increasing expressing volumes again and my supply on general. We can't get to bf groups as I still can't drive and there are no peer supporters to come out to the house. I'm basically having a panic that I'm starving her and we're going to end up back in hospital again.

GruffaloPants Sun 14-Aug-16 04:52:46

Try looking at the kellymom site - lots of good info on this and related subjects. Your volume of expressed milk dropping doesn't mean there is anything wrong, it's normal, but you should be able to get advice on increasing supply.

I have a 5yo, and a 3 week old who was born at 36 weeks. I tend to just try to latch the baby on whenever - my older DD doesn't mind and it means the little one can feed as often as she likes. Would,this be an option?

seven201 Sun 14-Aug-16 05:30:31

Get your gp to prescribe so cows milk free formula. I have a supply issue and have recently started drinking a milk supply tea. Can't remember the name of the specific one but it has the word select in it and is loose leaf tea in a turquoise pouch. I honk it's actually working! I had to express in the middle of the night tonight as my boobs woke me up as they're rock solid! When I express in the day I can usually only get 15ml max as my 8 week daughter is constantly feeding so there's none spare!

eurochick Sun 14-Aug-16 06:34:23

Are you eating and drinking enough? I had a non- latching premmie and expressed so I could see exactly how much I was producing. The quantity went right down if I wasn't eating enough and drinking gallons. I just thought with a baby and an older one these things might be easy to neglect!

GruffaloPants Sun 14-Aug-16 09:44:30

Forgot to say the infant feeding advisor told me supply is best at night, and also responds best to expressing in the night.

Considerphebas Mon 15-Aug-16 18:09:58

Thankyou!
I've ordered the tea- I think it's called 'mothers select' will try to express in the night as well.

I'm probably not drinking enough so I've been sitting with a bottle of water for every feed. Hv weighed her today and again she's not out any weight on. Checked the latch and she was happy with that as well. No real plan yet to try and build her weight up or any explanation as to why! She's feeding every 2-3 hours, latching well now and coming off milk drunk!

FifiRebel Mon 15-Aug-16 18:19:30

I've recently come home with my 30+6 preemie. I have the same thing in evenings occasionally with him getting cross at me during evening feeding and me feeling like he can't be getting any

Last night I gave him EBM and then expressed to see how much I had. There was plenty. My nurse thinks it could be colic.

My supply dropped massively after NICU which the outreach team said is normal as our bodies were supplying the amount for a pump rather than our baby. I used to get 200ml + per session and now I usually get around 100ml unless it's been a while. I've been eating hobnobs lately and they seem to get my supply right up (and probably my weight too!) wink

Stevefromstevenage Mon 15-Aug-16 18:24:34

Are you pumping when she is taking the bottle? This will keep up your supply for that feed, if not you will be down a feed. The 2 hour eating fest in the evening is perfectly normal cluster feeding.

When I had low supply I did a pumping on and off for 10 minutes at a time for an hour at that night feed just to boost supply, it is called power pumping I think. Be careful though because I did it for a little too long and ended up with a stint of oversupply. I would suggest reaching out to your local la leche league group for advice.

Stevefromstevenage Mon 15-Aug-16 18:25:26

Btw what the pump gets and what the baby gets are likely to be different which is normal too.

WhatWouldFlopDo Mon 15-Aug-16 18:28:58

The evening breast punching and head shaking is normal at this stage, they're building supply. Think of it like putting a note out for the milkman asking for an extra pint tomorrow, the more they feed the more milk you'll make.

The night feeds are pretty important for building supply too. What's her output like? Are there plenty of wet and dirty nappies?

You sound like you're doing a grand job!

Considerphebas Tue 16-Aug-16 10:18:36

DD has not put on weight a gain- Gained 3 Oz in 2 weeks. Hv advising formula top ups but no advice on how / when/ how much or any ideas about why she might not be gaining weight. She feeds as often as she likes usually every 2-3 hours until she drops off and then sleeps, I'm also concerned that stuffing extra milk in will just make her vomit/ reflux worse.

Considerphebas Tue 16-Aug-16 10:22:39

But thanks to pumping tips I've been expressing 2*50mls the last few days!

cherrypiemay16 Tue 16-Aug-16 10:26:59

Neocate is the best formula for cmpi, though also the most expensive! I think you can take domperidone to help your supply (a pretty harmless drug) and also eat lots of oats! If your Hv isn't very helpful did nicu give you a contact number you can use for advice. Good luck!

cherrypiemay16 Tue 16-Aug-16 10:27:26

Most expensive for your gp that is, not for you!

seven201 Tue 16-Aug-16 18:13:27

We've just been prescribed the other cmpi formula that begins with a N. If you can't express enough then just get your gp to prescribe you some formula. You could always mix them together if you didn't want to give pure formula.

ispymincepie Tue 16-Aug-16 20:29:40

You could check out the Human Milk 4 Human Babies Facebook group for some donor milk. I did this while trying to get my own supply up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now