Talk

Advanced search

2 week old BF for hours

(9 Posts)
MoreGilmoreGirls Wed 03-Aug-16 00:53:09

DS seems to be feeding well, no real issues, breastfeeding exclusively and he's gaining weight so I'm quite pleased. However he does have marathon feeding sessions, he's currently still sucking away at nearly 1am and he started feeding at 9pm! I'm knackered and would really like some sleep. I know for the first few weeks they are building up supply through sucking but I thought by now the endless sucking should have settled down a bit. I'm getting a bit fed up. Anyone in similar position? He's definitely feeding, I've tried removing him and he cries, DH took him to try and settle him but he just cried. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

DelphiniumBlue Wed 03-Aug-16 01:11:08

He's feeding totally normally, don't worry.
I remember being astounded at how long a baby could feed for, my oldest D's fed for 13 hours one day! He's 23 now but I still remember it very clearly..
Not a lot you can do, just make sure you are drinking lots of water and eating plenty, breastfeeding can really take it out of you.
It might help if you are able to feed on your side lying down, but not everyone feels comfortable or confident doing that.
And make sure you go to sleep as soon as he does, don't waste your time doing housework and stuff.
Once you feel you've got feeding established, it might be worth having him in a sling you can feed from, at least you'd be a bit more mobile then. Meanwhile, keep the remote and biscuits within reach.
Gooid luck and congratulations!

makingmiracles Wed 03-Aug-16 01:16:41

It's gets a lot easier, we are 6 wks here and she fed like that for the first 3/4wks, she seems to have settled down now into a little routine but I forgot from last time about the intensity of cluster feeds and how much and how long they feed for at first. DD now usually only feeds for 20mins tops but in the evenings tends to feed for longer then feed for comfort/sleep. It will get easier soon!

Kellymom is a really good website for explaining what's normal etc and a lot of people on breastfeeding yummy mummies face bk group swear by the wonder weeks app which shows you roughly at what ages they have leaps etc

Showgirl109 Wed 03-Aug-16 01:19:56

No advice per say but the unicef breastfeeding guidelines say a successful feed is 5 mins- 40 mins. I can't really imagine what 2 hours is like. Are there any local breastfeeding support groups near you? Our bus trust has a drop in clinc for breastfeeding every day.

FastWindow Wed 03-Aug-16 01:20:24

Silly question, but are you winding him enough? Often the suckling can continue as they know that means comfort in that only way they know so far, but i would tentatively disagree with delphinium and say four hours is a very long time for a feed, for a two week old. Sure, the cluster feeding is a thing, but maybe not that soon.

MoreGilmoreGirls Wed 03-Aug-16 06:52:27

Thanks everyone, he is quite a windy baby and a poopy one! Keep having to change his nappy does not help as it starts the feeding off again. I wondered if the crying was wind related as he screws up his face and draws his legs up a lot, hence giving him to DH to walk about a bit but that did not settle him. We have a support group at our children's centre so I'll see if I can pop along there if things don't improve (from my POV) generally he seems happy enough.

I tried lying on my side but could not get comfy might give it another go and I'll check out Kellymom.

Don't worry the housework is not my priority grin

FastWindow Thu 04-Aug-16 00:38:21

Try him on some Dentinox (if he is old enough, its a few years since i used it on mine) it's like Infacol but bloody brilliant.

Also, lie him down on his back, and bicycle his legs. It'll get the wind moving, and stop that drawing up.

Wind every five minutes or whatever seems right : over your back or flat over your knees. They've got to get that air out. You can be quite vigorous, they won't break. Just hold him close as you do it.

I assume you've got the latch sorted, hows that going?

chipmonkey Thu 04-Aug-16 02:46:12

Does he take a dummy? I found my boys would comfort-suck a lot and although I was advised not to give them dummies, I did find they saved my sanity. However, bear in mind that two weeks old is still very newborn. Ds4 came to a work training day with me when he was that age (I know, mad!) and he spent the entire day feeding under my dress!

firsttimemum15 Fri 05-Aug-16 20:12:56

I feel for you. Yes. Normal I had a 12 o'clock until 10pm cluster feed one day with nobody around. Thought I was going to loose my mind x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now