Talk

Advanced search

Is there any kind of guideline for how much EBM to give newborn per feed?

(8 Posts)
Quodlibet Sat 30-Jul-16 21:14:22

I think I'm overthinking this!

Basically, I want to give my son (now 11 days old) the odd EBM feed. We did this with my DD, giving the odd but regular feed when she was little which meant that I occasionally got a bit of a rest and she happily took a bottle of EBM on days that I had to work a bit later on.

My question is - my son is much bigger than my daughter was, and a much better feeder. When I pump (have done twice so far to give nipples a break) I have easily got 100ml off one side, which took weeks and weeks to work up to with DD.
He will happily chug 80-100ml of EBM in one quick feed.
This seems like a lot to me for a newborn, but that might be because my reference point is DD who had a smaller appetite.
Is it just horses for courses? Do I just feed him what he wants to take and not worry about quantity?

SpeakNoWords Sat 30-Jul-16 21:18:55

I think feed what he wants and don't worry about it. My DS2 is quite titchy (was just over 7lbs when born) but was taking 80-90ml of ebm at about that age, so it doesn't seem unusual to me.

Noctilucent Sat 30-Jul-16 21:22:44

Kellymom has a calculator. To wit, an ounce or 30ml per hour you will be away. But babies all differ.

5madthings Sat 30-Jul-16 21:25:04

Look at kellymom and do paced feeding so he doesn't take too much.

Quodlibet Sat 30-Jul-16 21:28:33

Thanks all. Paced feeding - I couldn't remember what that was called to look it up but will do so now.

KP86 Sat 30-Jul-16 21:34:11

My four day old DS had over 100ml of EBM in one feed. We used to start with small amounts and top up as needed. I couldn't believe such a small baby could still be hungry, but as soon as he had another 20ml he went to sleep for about five hours.

He's now 2.3 and hardly eats at all. Grrr!

Tumtitum Sat 30-Jul-16 21:41:26

I was told 20ml per kg of baby's weight by a lactation consultant. Think that's based on 12 feeds per day.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 31-Jul-16 07:06:42

At work we go by the baby needing 150mls per every Kg of weight in a 24 hour period.

So if you have a 4kg baby he needs 600mls in 24hrs (20 ounces) therefore if he was having a 3 hourly bottle he'd need 75mls or if he was having a 2 hourly bottle he'd need 50mls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now