Talk

Advanced search

Slightly premature- express or not?

(10 Posts)
GruffaloPants Fri 29-Jul-16 18:14:17

DD2 is 3 days old. She was delivered following induction at 36+3 (vaginal delivery with gas and air) due to my health issues, and was 7lb4oz. She has taken really well to breastfeeding - great latch and sucks well. She does fall asleep quite quickly though and is hard to keep going past about 10 mins of feeding. Plenty of wet and dirty nappies though, and only 4% weight loss so far.

Yesterday I was asked to express and offer this to her after breastfeeding as she was slightly jaundiced (no other health/prematurity issues). She's now had phototherapy and jaundice is no longer a problem. Some of the midwives want me to keep going "to make sure she's getting enough", while others think just stick with the breastfeeding and offer it frequently.

Im inclined to just breastfeed, particularly as I had oversupply with DD1 and am keen to avoid over stimulating - she hasn't taken all the expressed milk anyway.

Any thoughts? We're going home tomorrow.

Quodlibet Fri 29-Jul-16 18:28:07

I'd be inclined to just keep going with the BF and not muck your supply around if you can help it. I'm not an expert but seems like all the other signs that she's feeding well are there.
My 10 day old feeds for 10-15 mins at a time too, every 1.5hrs during the day. He's clearly getting enough for him and feeding much better than my daughter who used to feed for up to 40 mins but was far less effective. I think if they are efficient feeders they can get what they need in short bursts.

Orsono Fri 29-Jul-16 20:09:25

The way to 'make sure she's getting enough' with breastfeeding is to check she's gaining weight ok and producing wet and dirty nappies. It sounds like she is, so I'd go with your instints and listen to the midwives who are on your wavelength. smile

Littleelffriend Fri 29-Jul-16 20:10:27

Don't start expressing it turns into a nightmare

cordonbleu Fri 29-Jul-16 20:14:33

Keep going but if she doesn't gain weight in a few days or looses more consider pumping a little and cup feeding to both giver her extra and boost your supply a tad. (This was the very expert advice my sister recently had).

I understand your worry over over supply as I had this - but I wasn't given correct advice to only pump what he'd take, they told me to stop when I stopped dripping and after three days I could have fed the whole ward. My sister simply pumped extra after feeds only to stimulate and any that did come out she cup fed. It was only for a few days.

Also- look up dr Jack Newman on YouTube- feeding sleepy baby and breast compressions. Do this and there's not going to be any need to pump.

Congratulations by the way!

cordonbleu Fri 29-Jul-16 20:15:32

To emphasise; only if there's weight concerns would you pump.

Missgraeme Fri 29-Jul-16 20:17:39

My son was born @35 weeks. Jaundice and under the light for a week. No mention of pumping or top ups. Left hospital at
4-12and a half!!

GruffaloPants Fri 29-Jul-16 21:14:22

Great, thanks everyone.

I'm going to avoid pumping and offer her feeding more often.

First time round I was told to express "just whatever you can" - cue a full mini fridge!

GruffaloPants Sun 31-Jul-16 13:43:12

Midwife weighed DD2 today. She is 5 days old and has only lost 3.5% of birthweight so looks like the plan is working!

Quodlibet Sun 31-Jul-16 20:57:00

Great work! Well done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now