Talk

Advanced search

My 2 week old will not gain weight

(5 Posts)
PickleBot Fri 29-Jul-16 15:21:54

We've had a bit of a bumpy ride so far. I had GD so she ended up in nicu due to low blood sugars, tgen she was slightly jaundiced. We were finally discharged only to end up back in hospital again as she wouldn't feed because she was too sleepy. Discharged again as she gained a little look E but while we were there, but she's just been weighed by the hv and she's lost what little she had put on. I'm bf on demand, but she's been having formula top ups since day 1 as well. Pediatrician said she would have to have them or she wouldn't regain her birth weight. I've been giving them and she's still not getting anywhere. If we give her too much of a top up she just spews it all back up again. She only wants to feed every 3-4 hours and keeping her on the breast for more than 5 min is almost impossible, she just falls asleep. I've tried waking her to feed early, but I can't get her alert enough to latch properly. I'm at my wits end, and at the point of giving up and formula feeding because then at least we'd know what was going in. She has a really good latch, she is alert for a couple of hours a day, she will be called up for the team gb poo squad any day now, but she just won't feed for long enough. I have no idea what to do.

tiktok Fri 29-Jul-16 15:30:00

It's so worrying when this happens.....very often, the baby turns out to be just fine, though.

Can you give more details of the exact weights?

Are you entirely confident these have been done accurately and recorded accurately?

How much formula is she having?

3-4 hourly feeding is not usually sufficient for young babies - greater frequency is more important than actual length of the feeds.

Can she feed more often than this by you holding her skin to skin more often, so you can ensure you make the most of any slightly alert periods? Are you feeding her at least both breasts each time? Has anyone discussed switch nursing or breast compression with you?

I would wonder why you would need formula top ups from day one, even with GD....

Orsono Fri 29-Jul-16 16:25:35

Presumably the health visitor was using a different set of scales to those used in hospital? My 3-week old was weighed incorrectly by the community midwife the other week, leading to several days of worry before I got him re-weighed. I don't know what she did wrong, but the weights were well over half a kilo out. Of course, that might not be the case here, but it's worth insisting she is weighed again soon, using the same scales, and watching to make sure they tare them first.

What is your health visitor suggesting you do now?

PickleBot Sat 30-Jul-16 13:37:51

Well we ended up in a&e as hv sent us to the GP who sent us to a&e to see the pediatrician. She said she thinks everyone is being a bit unreasonable about their expectations because she was a little bit early, her tummy is tiny and she probably just can't process the amount of milk expected when calculated by her weight because she was over 4kg at birth. The Dr said she was happy that baby is in good condition, weeing, pooing, having periods of being alert and is well. She said we are not to have her weighed again until Monday because weighing too frequently just picks up all the slight fluctuations in weight from normal feeding and pooing. The Dr was really sensible and thorough, I wish I could bring her home!

tiktok Sat 30-Jul-16 23:07:18

Sounds sensible I agree, pickle.

Hope things turn out fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now