Any Ranitidine experts?

(6 Posts)
countrytweed Mon 25-Jul-16 17:22:43

My 7 week old son has been diagnosed with silent reflux and have been given Ranitidine by GP. He's 8lb 13oz and has been prescribed 0.25ml three times a day. Having looked at other posts this seems a bit low, and it seems to be having no effect after 3 days – or does it take longer to start working anyway? He's still arching his back, going stiff, writhing in pain after feeding and generally very unsettled. Does that dosage sound about right? What are people's experiences with Ranitidine in general?

jellycat1 Mon 25-Jul-16 17:31:22

Ds1 was on it from 4 wks to about 12wks. I'm not sure it did much for him really. Just took the edge off. Omeprazole was a bit better but quite hard to administer. For us neocate was the only thing that worked. Doseage for ranitidine is weight related so you have to keep getting it changed.

GraceGrape Mon 25-Jul-16 17:34:22

There is a range of safe doses for Ranitidine. GPs will usually prescribe the lowest safe dose first. It's worth asking them to put it up to the mid dose or high dose.

dollydaydream84 Tue 26-Jul-16 21:49:47

Dosage is based on weight so would be worth checking if the dose is right. Got a feeling my 8lb5er was on 0.7ml three times a day but definitely check it with GP before administering more! Worth going back if it's making no difference my GP said 48hours was long enough to see if it makes a difference x

MummyMonkeySnot Tue 26-Jul-16 22:00:55

DS was diagnosed with reflux at 2 weeks and put on 6ml 3 times a day. He was 6lb 12oz at birth and lost more than 10% weight and had slight jaundice. Was also given infant gaviscon but just made him constipated and didn't touch the reflux so I took him off it. Went back to docs when he was around 6/7 months and they tripled the strength of ranitidine and he's now on 2ml twice a day as well as 1ml domperidone 3 times a day. Seeing a consultant end of August as he's now 16mo and showing no signs of going still sad. Hope your little ones okays with it

VforVienetta Tue 26-Jul-16 22:07:23

DS1 was on 0.4ml at 3mo, but one thing to note was there are two versions - the adult formulation which you use a tiny dose of for infants (esp those who struggle to keep fluids down ie most refluxy babies!), and the children's version which they prescribed us at first and was a 10ml dose IIRC (might've been more?). It was impossible to get that much into him and keep it down.
They switched him to the adult formulation and the 0.4ml dose worked very well for us.
Gaviscon was useless for him (BF).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now