Expressed milk looks yellow and thick in fridge?

(11 Posts)
bippitybopityboo Mon 18-Jul-16 16:48:40

Hi all I have pouches of expressed milk and I have noticed they are looking thick and yellow in some places
These are only 1 or 2 days old and our fridge is colder than most I think
Is this normal will it change when I warm the milk again or has it gone bad ill be devastated if it needs to be thrown away

Verticalvenetianblinds Mon 18-Jul-16 16:50:27

Its possible your lo is getting or recovering from a bug? My milk changes colour/consistency when that happens

GrouchyKiwi Mon 18-Jul-16 16:56:24

Does it look like the fat is separating from the rest of it? If so, it'll be fine when you warm it up. Just give it a good shake.

bippitybopityboo Mon 18-Jul-16 18:47:30

Yes it does Grouchy is it normal. I will thankyou!

GrouchyKiwi Mon 18-Jul-16 19:13:22

I'm pretty sure it's normal - mine does it, anyway!

ShowOfHands Mon 18-Jul-16 19:14:19

Utterly normal! Give it a shake.

icclemunchy Mon 18-Jul-16 19:15:04

Don't shake, swirl something to do with enzymes but my overheated baby brain won't tell me exactly what blush

BaronessBomburst Mon 18-Jul-16 19:16:27

Wait until the days it has a green or blue tinge!
And I never did work out what I was eating to turn it blue.

cudbywestrangers Mon 18-Jul-16 19:16:37

Sounds normal to me! Once you take it out and it warms the fat will disperse again. I read somewhere to swirl rather than shake breast milk but can't remember why. It should keep for 5 days in the fridge and will smell bad if off...

Orsono Mon 18-Jul-16 19:28:53

This sounds normal to me too, and I also read the thing about swirling it to remix instead of shaking.

artisanroast Thu 21-Jul-16 01:03:48

Yes totally normal smile

Us mamas don't produce semi-skimmed wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now