Formula feed at night?

(2 Posts)
Maybebabybee Tue 12-Jul-16 20:48:26

My DS is 4 months and EBF. He still wakes to feed every 2.5 - 3 hours at night. I know this is within the range of normal for a baby his age but I'm pretty knackered and I'd love a slightly longer stretch of sleep. He'll happily take a bottle of expressed and DH has repeatedly offered to do a night feed but we live in a small flat and I wake up anyway so seems a bit pointless. It has been suggested he's just comfort sucking but I don't think this is the case - I think he's genuinely hungry. I think this because 1) he really isn't a comfort feeder - he has a dummy for comfort sucking and if I offer him boob when he's not hungry he gets furious and screams and 2) I've tried resettling him with dummy etc, and he just gets upset til he gets fed.

I've tried to get him to take longer feeds during the day but he point blank refuses - he's been a one-side, 5-6 minute "snacker" pretty much since birth. Weight gain etc have always been fine.

So now I'm wondering if it's worth giving a bottle of half expressed milk, half ready made formula at his 10pm feed to see if I get a slightly longer stretch that way? He's had some ready made aptamil a couple of times in emergencies (had to go for emergency dental treatment twice since he was born) so I know he will take it.

Worth a shot? Or is it just an old wives' tale? I know his sleep isn't terrible. I can certainly live with it if I have to.

Maybebabybee Tue 12-Jul-16 20:49:57

PS before anyone suggests co sleeping...that doesn't work for us. I've tried him a few times and he's really unsettled in our bed - much prefers his cot. I also find it hard to nurse lying down as I have enormous boobs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now