Talk

Advanced search

Newborn breastfeeding & nipple blister

(5 Posts)
Bumbler16 Mon 11-Jul-16 21:59:07

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can make me feel better please.

My baby boy is 10 days old and feeding is going really well except for the fact I've got what looks to be a blister coming on one nipple. My midwife said its because he's sucking so hard and I have to keep an eye on it to check it doesn't burst or get infected.

The trouble is this is making his latch on that side SO painful, the pain doesn't last the whole feed but my goodness the first 30 seconds or so are horrific.

Has anyone else suffered with this? If so how long did it take to clear up?

It hurts so bad if it's going to be there for week I don't know if I can keep feeding up confused

Orsono Tue 12-Jul-16 10:17:14

It doesn't sound to me like the midwife gave you very good advice. A blister is likely to be a result of a problem with how the baby is latching on, not because he's 'sucking so hard'. The best thing would be to get someone who knows what they're talking about to watch you feed - is there a breastfeeding support group in your area you could get to? It may just be a case of making an adjustment to how you're positioning him.

I had blisters with my first, they're awful! Goid luck getting it sorted.

timelytess Tue 12-Jul-16 10:22:39

Numb the nipple with ice - put the ice in a cloth so it doesn't give you an ice burn - before latching on.
Get your position right. Sit with your back straight and padded with pillows and cushions. Put cushions and pillows on your lap and rest arm and baby on them, so that you can touch baby's cheek with the nipple and he can reach the nipple without any tugging. This is so important in avoiding/healing soreness. The pain can disappear overnight if you get the position right.
Unless advised otherwise by a medic, keep feeding through problems.
Don't worry about offering both sides every time. Just be sure the baby has chance to suck every twenty minutes or so.

Bumbler16 Tue 12-Jul-16 11:24:13

Thank you for your replies

To be honest I thought it was a little odd and nothing I've looked at on google mentions them being caused by over enthusiastic sucking.

ORSONO when you had them did it hurt for the whole feed or just the latch?

I'm trying desperately to work out what I'm doing wrong but it's never getting any easier.
There are support groups near me yep so I think perhaps that's my next move.

Thanks for your help both smile

mrsmugoo Tue 12-Jul-16 15:02:47

Make sure your baby's head is tilted back, you aim nose to nipple and lead the latch with the chin so that the nipple is drawn in deeply into the soft palette. The blister will be due to a shallow latch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now