Talk

Advanced search

Nipple Shield sizing

(6 Posts)
Itsaplayonwords Sat 09-Jul-16 11:16:45

I'm currently using a medela medium nipple shield as that was what they gave me in SCBU but I'm thinking maybe it's a bit big. The information on the medela website is really vague about sizing. Does anyone have any idea how to judge which size I need?

SteveArnottsLoverPlease Sat 09-Jul-16 13:40:03

I had a lot of difficulty working this out as well, I think it is supposed to be to do with the width of your nipple when it is that elongated, erect way it goes during feeding but you are right it is very vague. I also never saw anything other than medela medium for sale in shops. Possibly other sizes are available online.

I used a mix of medela medium and boots own (excellent, lovely and soft, but very slightly larger than medela) and thankfully this saved our feeding, but I could never find much about the sizing or fit. My DC was quite large (11lbs at birth) so seemed able to manage the largish shields, although my boobs/nipples are quite small!

To be totally honest I felt that for me it was more about mastering the technique of shields, rather than them being a perfect fit. Hopefully you find some shields that you can get along with soon! I never tried the Avent ones although my HV seemed to rate them, but I can recommend the Boots ones as cheap and soft.

seven201 Sat 09-Jul-16 13:42:01

I have small nipples so use the madela small 16mm ones. I find it less painful than the medium. I thought it was to do with nipple size rather than the baby but that was just my assumption. I got mine on Amazon prime!

seven201 Sat 09-Jul-16 13:43:18

Also, In case you didn't know (I didn't) you can buy different funnel bits (I think they're called flanges grin) for breast pumps to fit your nipples/boobs.

Itsaplayonwords Sat 09-Jul-16 13:46:56

Thanks both. I think the medium is a little bit big on my nipple but it's more the fact that it's too big for my DD (she's only 4lb 8). But that said she does seem to be doing okay with the medium. I only have the one though and I'm wanting to buy some more so thought I may as well try to get the right size. I'm really surprised at how difficult it's been to find any nipple shields in shops though - I've tried two Mothercare's and a Boots and neither of them had them so I'm going to order on Amazon.

seven201 Sat 09-Jul-16 15:32:46

I had that problem too hence how j discovered them on Amazon. Crazy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now