I think my breastfed baby is self weening, is it possible to get her to feed from me again?

(11 Posts)
milkingmachine1 Wed 06-Jul-16 18:58:16

My 15 month old hasn't breastfed from me for 2 days, she's teething and miserable. It's as though she's forgotten how to feed, she's just biting me.

Is she self weening and is there anyway I can get her to feed from me again?

If she has self weened, should she just have cows milk? And how much a day should she have? We've always breastfed and fed on demand. Although she will drink cows milk from a beaker, but not a huge amount.

Thanks in advance

SpeakNoWords Wed 06-Jul-16 19:02:50

It could be self-weaning, my DS did similar at about the same age. Not sure how you can persuade her to feed if she's not keen, though. Maybe a late night feed might be the most relaxed and likely to succeed? Plus using pain relief for the teething before trying a feed.

You can give cows milk, but it's really just for the calcium it provides. If she gets calcium from a range of other sources then there's no desperate need to get her to take a specific volume of milk.

milkingmachine1 Wed 06-Jul-16 22:41:02

Thanks for your post.

I suppose there is nothing I can really do. Maybe it's better this way as she has made the choice.

That's good to know about the cows milk though. She eats a good diet so I'll offer it in a cup which she can drink if she wants.

milkingmachine1 Thu 07-Jul-16 20:50:24

Can anyone advise on engorgment? My breasts are quite hard and feeling sore. I don't know if I should express a little just to take the ensue off. But I don't want to encourage more milk to be produced.

louise987 Thu 07-Jul-16 20:55:27

Just hand express a tiny amount to relieve the pressure but otherwise leave well alone. They will settle in a few days hopefully. Also I found a cool flannel/towel gave relief from any pain or discomfort

poocatcherchampion Thu 07-Jul-16 20:56:17

It could be teeth op?

Gunpowder Thu 07-Jul-16 20:57:41

I think self weaning is quite rare before 18 months-two, and tends to be gradual rather than sudden. Sounds like a nursing strike. If you want to keep feeding you could try in the bath or when she's very sleepy/asleep as speak suggested or walking round feeding even. Bottom of this article is useful. Would defo express a bit to prevent engorgement/mastitis even if you want to wean.

milkingmachine1 Thu 07-Jul-16 21:01:38

Thanks. I'll hand express a bit just to take the edge off and try the flannel trick.
I tried feeding her again today but she just holds my nipple in her mouth. It's the strangest thing. She's never had bottles, always been breastfed. I just can't believe it's over, she's always been a happy feeder. It makes me feel so sad. I don't want it to be over if it's just teething.

Gunpowder Thu 07-Jul-16 21:05:07

It doesn't have to be over! Your supply is really well established post a year. Have you tried calpol and then feeding? Or maybe teething gel? DD1 had a strike for a couple of days at a similar age and then started feeding again, it was her molars coming through I think.

BananaPie Thu 07-Jul-16 21:07:50

My ds lost interest in breastfeeding at around the same age. Again, never had a bottle, and now only drinks a few sips of cows milk from a beaker. The health visitor said not to worry as long as he was getting calcium from yoghurts, cheese etc. I figured he knew what he was doing, and didn't mourn the end of bf at all!

milkingmachine1 Thu 07-Jul-16 21:09:02

Thank you gunpowder, that article is helpful. I'm so pleased there is still hope. She's definitely teething as today she's been miserable and drooling so much. I'm going to use the coaxing techniques from the article.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now