Nutramigen..help!?

(10 Posts)
Flower20166 Tue 05-Jul-16 20:42:56

Baby has been unsettled since birth (he's 8 weeks now). He's showed reflux symptoms and been on gaviscon and ranitidine both of which haven't worked. He's also been on carobel the last couple of weeks which has helped keep his feeds down, but not helped him in terms of making him comfortable (he is very fussy, grunts and groans all day/night and doesn't ever have a peaceful sleep).

The doctor today prescribed Nutramigen. He had his first bottle which was fine, and just had the second one but brought it all back up which he hasn't done in ages! I did have carobel in it so it was to the same consistency he's used to.
Do you think this is just because of the change in formula and it should settle down?
I'm really worried it's not going to help him and he'll bring them all back up

Tatiebee Tue 05-Jul-16 22:15:59

It's probably due to changing formula all in one go, when my oldest son was prescribed it 7 years ago I was told to substitute the existing formula with Nutramigen by an ounce per day.

Flower20166 Tue 05-Jul-16 22:30:19

Oh ok the doctor didn't say to do that. I will try that on the next feed. Thankyou

user1467786468 Wed 06-Jul-16 07:36:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 06-Jul-16 07:41:23

Mine was on the since 4 weeks. She brought the second one up so I gave her smaller amounts , an ounce every 15 mins over the course of a day . The following day she walloped every bottle. She is still on it now at 13 months twice a day.

Loves it. I tasted it and heaved! It's vile but because of this strange strong nasty taste she loves strong food. Eg smoked salmon, mackerel, strong cheese

Nothing bland.

Flower20166 Wed 06-Jul-16 07:57:07

Thanks for your reply! He hasn't been sick since that second bottle, BUT has had the most watery poos. Is that normal and will they go back to normal?
Also how long until you noticed a difference in your little one? X

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 06-Jul-16 08:06:57

She settled pretty much the following day.

Poo dropped to 2 or 3 a day then after a while once a day. They were always very wet until solids were introduced but to be honest they are not ever what I consider dry poos now. This is crude but I can only describe in these terms .... She does not poo logs. More like a thick mud! Sorry I know it's gross

Flower20166 Wed 06-Jul-16 08:10:58

Haha it's fine. His were literally watery poos last night, hopefully they'll settle down soon and go a bit mushier (eww!).
Thanks for your reply. He started it at 4pm yesterday so hopefully by tomorrow morning I might see a difference smile x

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 06-Jul-16 08:12:53

Nutrimigen is artificial so it's not like normal formular so it takes time for tummy to get used to it.

Drip feed for today and even tomorrow. It's quite rich

Flower20166 Wed 06-Jul-16 08:18:05

Thankyou x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now