Talk

Advanced search

My 1 yr old is refusing food

(5 Posts)
user1467570490 Sun 03-Jul-16 19:37:07

Hi. I need some advice, my son has just turned 1 and is refusing all finger foods. For example, he use to love toast and bread but now he keeps spitting it out and taking food out of his mouth and throwing it on the floor, all he will eat is 7 month baby jars. And even that is a struggle. I am trying to get him use to finger food as an option for his evening meal rather than than jars but he won't eat anything I give him. I have tried feeding out of his high chair by having picnics on the floor and making it fun buy nothing is working. I'm concerned he won't meet his mike stones if he keeps refusing to lean and self feed. I don't know what to do, he has just for use to what no means but saying it doesn't work he just shouts back at us. It's really frustrating I feel like I'm failing as a parent because I can't get him to eat properly. He can't stay on jars forever. He's havin 2 bottles of cows milk and one bottle of juice a day he eats his porridge and yogurt fine in the morning but anything finger food like he won't touch and kicks up a fuss.help

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sun 03-Jul-16 19:43:45

Why does he need to eat finger foods? Generally I serve wheetabix in the morning, scrambled egg which we eat with a spoon and then a main meal at dinner time ie shepherds pie. 11 month old DC is quite happy to self feed with a spoon.

Notthisnotthat Sun 03-Jul-16 19:51:03

My DD had a phase like this, when she was teething, molars I think. I just fed her the things she wanted after a week or 2 I introduced the food again and it seemed to work.

user1467570490 Mon 04-Jul-16 08:06:41

Ok the word finger foods gives the wrong impression, more like, he won't eat anything that's not porridge or a baby jar ir bottle. I have tried scrambled egg, soft veg, food that I cook as I cook alot of home made fresh food cuz my eldest is autistic and fussy so there is always fresh food available like cottage pie, pasta bake, bilogneise etc but he won't even attempt to learn to use a spoon.

ThatsNotEvenAWord Mon 04-Jul-16 08:15:33

How long has he been like this? My DS is generally a great eater but he went right off his food when his two front teeth were coming through. I usually blame teeth for such things

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now