Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding tips for newborn-no milk after 5days

(15 Posts)
Jem01 Thu 30-Jun-16 18:11:42

Looking for advice on breastfeeding please as I'm really struggling.

I gave birth on Sunday and have been exclusively breastfeeding but concerned as my milk still hasnt come through yet, despite breasts feeling and looking very full.

Baby produces between 1-2 wet nappies a day but hasn't pooed in the last 2 days so worried about this.

Midwife says not to worry but everyday baby gets more and more restless and last night was particularly difficult.

Any advice on how to get my milk to come through please? Thanks.

JellyBaby26 Thu 30-Jun-16 22:12:09

I think it's hormonal and there is nothing that will actually help it come in.

Mine didn't come in until day 5 I think. Hang on in there, it will come!

tiktok Thu 30-Jun-16 23:35:24

Sounds as if your milk is in. Feeling and looking full? It's there smile

But only one or two wets per day - are you sure? Use a cotton wool ball in nappy to check for this, or nappies with the colour changing stripe when urine hits it. No poo is concerning, but it is a sign you need to have your baby weighed to check weight is within normal.

My guess is that all is well. The babies who are seriously underfed at this stage are lethargic, not restless.

But get her weighed.

Marzipants Thu 30-Jun-16 23:39:22

How often is baby feeding? And for how long?

If you're concerned call your midwife / leave a message to see her tomorrow. Don't spend your weekend worrying.

Jem01 Fri 01-Jul-16 11:20:04

jellybaby thanks really hope so!

tiktok thanks for the cotton ball tip, will start going that from now on. Still no poo so will discuss with midwife at next appointment.

marzipants baby is feeding every 2-3 hours shortest is about 20mins longest about 40mins.

amysmummy12345 Fri 01-Jul-16 11:30:01

Aldi and Asda little angels have the colour changing strip, comes in really handy for checking if wee has happened!! Can you hand express any out? X

user1467786468 Wed 06-Jul-16 07:48:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

peaceloveandtwirlywoos Wed 06-Jul-16 07:51:55

Chug water like no tomorrow. A glass every time you feed.

KimmySchmidtsSmile Wed 06-Jul-16 07:57:14

yep. ^Stilltee which has got fenugreek in. Fenugreek apparently helps lactation. As do oats so oat biscuits/porridge/oatibix too. Lots of fluids.
Did you have GD? (gestational diabetes). My milk took ages with dc3 and our blood sugars were all over the place. He slept most of the time that first week and did not poo for six days. I had him in bed for a week just latching on whenever (lanisoh!) and stalking him for signs of dehydration. (Even if it is pre milk you are making all latching and sucking will help maintain/stimulate supply) shamrock xx

YorkieDorkie Wed 06-Jul-16 08:03:14

Mine took 6 days so I wouldn't get on the herbs straight away! The key to lactation is relaxation. Just keep putting baby to breast frequently and your milk will come. Did you have a caesarean? I put mine down to my not producing milk soon enough.

KimmySchmidtsSmile Wed 06-Jul-16 08:09:43

www.amazon.co.uk/Weleda-Nursing-Tea-20-Bags/dp/B002YYKJ7Y

That price is insane but that is the kind of thing I mean (Welds is a decent brand).

zzzzz Wed 06-Jul-16 08:09:48

Make sure you are really hydrated. Everyone says it makes no difference but it really did for me (5 bf babies). Put your feet up (really not a turn of phrase) whenever possible and feed regularly.
I would say the baby must be getting some or it wouldn't be wetting at all.

Have a warm bath/shower before a feed.

Hang in there.

McBassyPants Wed 06-Jul-16 08:10:52

Have you tried expressing? Express every couple of hours (after each feed) or if he doesn't feed make sure you express. You can top him up with the EBM and it will also encourage your supply. Does it feel like he is feeding well from you?

KimmySchmidtsSmile Wed 06-Jul-16 08:11:05

Weleda typo, sorry.

amysmummy12345 Wed 06-Jul-16 21:37:30

How is it going op?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now