Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Introducing formula at 7m - first or follow on milk?

(8 Posts)
FenellaFerranti Sat 25-Jun-16 07:09:39

Hello! I'm trying to introduce a little bit of formula for DS2 (7m) as he'll be starting to do a couple of days at nursery in 10 weeks. I'm pretty clueless about it all though as I haven't used formula before.

I bought follow on milk as he's over 6m but then read people saying there's no need for it. Is it better to get first milk then? Or are they the same? They were the same price and I just couldn't tell what the difference was! Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

EsmesBees Sat 25-Jun-16 07:15:18

I think the NHS recommends sticking with first milk. I don't know much about it either but used first milk when I stopped bfeeding at 9 months.

Tfoot75 Sat 25-Jun-16 07:15:31

They are pretty much the same I think but the formula companies can legally advertise and discount follow on milk so it may work out cheaper if you have any vouchers for it (and I assume you would get eg clubcard/nectar points on it whereas you can't for first infant formula, this may be wrong though). A lot of people seem to boycott follow on milk for this reason though, so it's up to you!

ALongTimeComing Sat 25-Jun-16 07:15:44

No experience with formula but he may not even need it at nursery at 9.5 months! I suppose it depends how many days/long he's there but mines just waited for me to get home.

MyBreadIsEggy Sat 25-Jun-16 07:17:54

I've read that the only reason "follow on" formula exists, is because formula manufacturers aren't allowed to advertise "first milk" on to etc but they still want to advertise their brand name.
If they are the same price, I don't really think it will make all that much difference to be honest! I don't think there's any magical job that follow on milk will do, that first milk wouldn't.

FenellaFerranti Sat 25-Jun-16 08:38:18

Thanks all - so follow on seems like an OK option even if not particularly necessary! Longtime agree he might not need the formula but it helps me feel more relaxed about sending him knowing he will take a bit of he needs it! DS1 was nearly 12 months and went straight into cow's milk while he was away from me so I'm experiencing a bit of guilt towards my second born too.

MindfulBear Sun 26-Jun-16 12:47:29

No need for follow on milk. It's a con.... Stick to first milk.
(The only reason follow on milk was introduced is as a marketing ploy as there are restrictions on advertising first milk)

Extract from an email from a family member who is a HV:
"What people don't realise is that toddler milk has twice the amount of lactose of that of cows milk.
Also until recently they were putting vanilla extract in it to making it taste sweeter thus, more palatable for toddlers naturally sweet teeth. Toddlers don't need it. But they do need ACD vitamin supplements D in particular from one year to five years."

Duckyneedsaclean Sun 26-Jun-16 12:49:29

You can get advantage points etc on follow on milk, and discounts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now