PLEASE HELP! Travel feeding/ out of the house, is there an easier way?

(38 Posts)
TheSleeplessOne Tue 07-Jun-16 18:59:45

Hi Everyone,
Bit of a newbie here... smile
A bit of background related to the subject. I'm 26 years old and mum to a 2 month old baby girl.

My headache is that every time I leave the house for any length of time with my baby I have to take out with me at least 3/4 sterilised bottles, my bag is jam packed! I do this just in-case I'm not near a microwave or kettle and to be honest I don't like cold water sterilising by dissolving a tablet, I just don't like the idea of any chemical being in my baby's body!

I'd just like any insights and opinions as to what you think I should/ can do about the situation, we all know how hard it is to get out of the house with a newborn.

I'd really like to know if there are any products you other mums can suggest and hopefully point me in the right direction and would definitely appreciate what you think are the pros and cons of any products so as I can make an informed decision for both me and my baby.

Thanks in advance everyone! smile

dementedpixie Tue 07-Jun-16 19:05:05

I don't understand what the issue is. Fine to take sterilised bottles but how many do you realistically need with you?

lemoncakes Tue 07-Jun-16 19:14:40

Hi op, what formula are you using? Most of them do small ready made bottles - e.g. 200ml which are handy for when you are out of the house. They are more expensive than using powder but if it's only 1 or 2 a day then it's so much more convenient. My baby (16 weeks) is happy to have them at room temperature as well, no need to warm them up.

lemoncakes Tue 07-Jun-16 19:16:54

I've just realised you're talking about needing that many bottles for feeds - not taking sterilised water with you for mixing! Oops! Sorry blush

TheSleeplessOne Tue 07-Jun-16 19:54:49

Yes sorry, my issue is the amount of bottles takes up so much space and is a bit of a nuisance. No one knows 100% how long they'll be away from the house so I always pack more than I need

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Tue 07-Jun-16 19:57:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheSleeplessOne Tue 07-Jun-16 22:06:12

What do people think of the current ways of sterilising a bottle whilst Out? E.g milton tablets cold water? Is it good to use a chemical?

Coconut0il Tue 07-Jun-16 22:08:02

Ready made for when you're out and about is a bit easier but I had a massive bag with DS1 till he was about 3... Even used to take a potty in it when he was toilet trainingblush

dementedpixie Tue 07-Jun-16 22:10:09

Are you in someone else's house? You could take microwave steriliser bags and sterilise them using them or boil them in a pan of water for 10 minutes

Diddlydokey Tue 07-Jun-16 22:11:15

www.pumps4mums.co.uk/chillipeeps-teat.htm

TheSleeplessOne Tue 07-Jun-16 22:11:38

It seems to be there's no one solution. Using milton tablets is chemical (not good), you can't use a microwave or kettle if there isn't one handy! And the only alternative is to carry a huge bag with loads of presterilised bottles in shock.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Tue 07-Jun-16 22:12:22

If she's feeding every 3/4 hours then surely thats no more than 3 bottles?

Diddlydokey Tue 07-Jun-16 22:15:25

I just took bottles, it wasn't that traumatic tbh

TeaBelle Tue 07-Jun-16 22:15:58

Babies come with paraphanelia. There are a few options which have all been mentioned but ultimately you do need to decide on what is practical for you and where you have to make sacrifices. Must be quite rare to be away from a boiling water source for a whole day though?

dementedpixie Tue 07-Jun-16 22:16:04

You couldn't use Milton out and about though, you'd need to be somewhere with a tub to put everything in. Water is a chemical too! Who said Milton isn't good to use?

dementedpixie Tue 07-Jun-16 22:16:32

Where are you going all day, every day?

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Tue 07-Jun-16 22:18:26

Babies that age feed about 3-4 hourly do they not when on formula? Are you really out of the house for 9-12 hours at a time?

Could you time leaving the house better so she has a bottle right before with leave so that will save taking one bottle?

As for old water tablets and being afraid of chemicals - you do know that formula milk is a load of chemicals mixed together to replicate breastmilk? It's not exactly organic and natural hmm. I used formula to mix feed so no judging here, just a bit confused at your argument against them.

Itsaplayonwords Tue 07-Jun-16 22:24:42

On the subject of Milton - they used it to sterilise breast pump attachments when my daughter was in SCBU - if it's good enough for premature and sick babies then I'd say it's fine across the board. If there was any kind of risk then it wouldn't be on the market.

TheSleeplessOne Tue 07-Jun-16 22:25:59

You're right about formula and milton being a chemical, but milton is used for cleaning... Coca cola is chemical but that doesn't mean I'll drink bleach for the same reason, a bit extreme I know...

My point is also uncertainly, you have to actively think to be near hot water or a microwave, it's restrictive.

If only there was a solution where you could take out 1 or 2 bottle and sterilise and reuse them again and again. Even the disposable sterilised teats that go on premixed bottles are a ongoing cost...

Pandoraalora Tue 07-Jun-16 22:26:10

I used to leave the house right after a feed (when possible) and then take a couple of bottles out with me, 4 is a bit much IMO and if for some reason you ran out you would find a way to sterilise bottles.

Alternatively it won't be long before your LO starts dropping feeds and you won't need to worry as much

Diddlydokey Tue 07-Jun-16 22:30:45

Even if you could sterilise whilst out you'd need to wash the bottles too? So taking washing up liquid and sponge etc.

The teats that I linked to are reusable

TheSleeplessOne Tue 07-Jun-16 22:36:12

I'd just love something you could use whilst out and about. No hot water, no microwave, no milton. AND TAKE ONLY 1 BOTTLE grin

Use the bottle and then sterilise it using some device that worked over and over.

What do people think about steam sterilising? Is it preferred?

Coconut0il Tue 07-Jun-16 22:37:27

Going out with a baby can be a little restrictive. I'm bf DS2 so in the early days I was always trying to be in a quiet place when he would be due a feed. I could do it anywhere but feel more comfortable in certain places than others.

dementedpixie Tue 07-Jun-16 22:38:03

The device would need a power source though plus you'd need to wash the bottle. As your baby gets older there will be less need to take everything out with you.

Diddlydokey Tue 07-Jun-16 22:38:16

I feel like you're going to try and sell me some kind of invention.

I had a steam steriliser. It was very easy but big and ugly in my kitchen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now