Talk

Advanced search

12 week old and rusk

(23 Posts)
isobel79 Tue 31-May-16 20:01:06

Hi

Just looking for opinions and experiences. My LO is nearly 12 weeks old. He is a hungry baby and usually drains his bottles. He's on pepti milk because of reflux. However that milk is so thin almost like water!!!

I am thinking of introducing small bits of rusk finely crushed into milk so that there is some substance.

Atm when he drinks it's like he's swallowing wind and his stomach always sounds empty. Has any moms introduced similar foods to their LO's? HV are always drumming in no food until six months!!

Many thanks confused

DonkeyOaty Tue 31-May-16 20:04:37

No because of the choking hazard

Offer more milk

dementedpixie Tue 31-May-16 20:08:38

Nooooooo
And especially not rusk- it's sugary and contains gluten. It's a bad food to give as a first taste and should never be added to a bottle of milk

Angelik Tue 31-May-16 20:09:36

try faster flow Ingatestone as well. might be swallowing air if he's having to work hard.

Angelik Tue 31-May-16 20:10:02

what! teat. faster flowing teat.

stargirl1701 Tue 31-May-16 20:10:41

No. It's actively dangerous to put it into the bottle as it creates a choking hazard.

Anything other than milk under 17 weeks old is actively harmful for his body.

Are you trying to schedule feed? Maybe try offering 3/4 oz every hour? Small and often would better replicate normal feeding behaviour.

PeaceLoveAndDiscoBiscuits Tue 31-May-16 20:27:35

Give him more milk if he's hungry. Do not put rusk or anything other than milk into his bottle!

eurochick Tue 31-May-16 20:28:27

Give him more milk, not rusks!

isobel79 Tue 31-May-16 21:43:32

Thanks for all your replies.

I will not use rusk.

He is using avent number 1 and 2 teats. I think the milk is the problem its soooooo thin!!!! I have used Dr Brown's bottles also but I don't think they do anything.

I don't want to put him at risk so will just continue giving milk.

Has anyone experienced their LO drinking milk and it sounding like air? Honestly when he drinks his tummy is just bubbling and bubbling

Thank u

daemonbyte Wed 01-Jun-16 07:33:48

If you are worried about sugar rusk do a reduced sugar one in a blue box. My son loves the blue and yellow ones. (banana). He didn't start till 6 months but he was on high fat breast milk so never needed it. I however was raised on milk soaked rusks in a bottle as a baby. You will even see on the box that it's got directions on how to do it. If you believe your baby needs more than give them highly soaked rusks. You could also try very milky/watery baby porridge (perhaps with a spoon). Some countries actually sell a type of porridge for in bottles. Not sure if uk supermarkets have it

dementedpixie Wed 01-Jun-16 07:44:10

No UK supermarkets do not sell it as you should never add anything to the bottle. Reduced sugar rusks are still 20% sugar so still not a good first food especially for an 11 week old baby. There are no instructions on the box to add them to a baby bottle, maybe you have different rusks to the ones sold here.

Junosmum Wed 01-Jun-16 07:47:31

It's really not good to add things to bottles.

My DS sounds like he's swallowing lots of air too and he's breastfed. It's totally normal.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Wed 01-Jun-16 07:50:12

I don't think the thickness of milk determines whether it will fill them or not. There are more calories in milk than solid foods so introducing foods early will defeat the object.

PeaceLoveAndDiscoBiscuits Wed 01-Jun-16 09:32:00

Weaning is crap anyway, put it off as long as possible wink

daemonbyte Wed 01-Jun-16 11:47:45

I buy them in the uk. But your right I remembered it wrong. It says to mix with milk into a puree in a bowl. Still it seems perfectly healthy for Scandinavian babies and was for myself as a baby but it's completely up to each parent to make the choice they deem best.

isobel79 Wed 01-Jun-16 12:17:20

Thanks mom's for all your replies been very helpful

getyourselfchecked Wed 01-Jun-16 15:46:24

Please don't take daemonbyte's advice! The perils of seeking advice on the internet

PeaceLoveAndDiscoBiscuits Wed 01-Jun-16 16:43:27

^^

Babettescat Sat 04-Jun-16 06:50:39

do not take daemonbyte's advice

Putting anything but milk into a bottle and introducing solids to a baby that young is against every bit of current advice for a good reason. Doesn't matter about good ol days.

AStreetcarNamedBob Sat 04-Jun-16 07:12:34

Just give more milk if he needs it.

Andcake Sat 04-Jun-16 07:21:17

Do not add rusk...do not feed early. Ds was a v windy baby actually the best thing I learnt was winding him properly ...it's also surprising how many peopl have different techniques so get you're mum or any kindly soul wanting to hold baby who has a kid to try. I found my boss ( dad of 3 ) on a visit did a superb job and ds slept like an angel that night...

dylsmimi Sat 04-Jun-16 07:29:49

Yy don't add rusk or anything else - and don't wean too early their stomachs and digestive systems aren't set up for it.
I know 'everyone did it' back in the 'olden days' but there is a reason why it isn't advised now
Give more milk as it could be a growth spurt - the noise is normal - some days I could hear the milk hitting ds stomach!
Would a slight change of angle when feeding help?

isobel79 Sat 04-Jun-16 22:18:42

Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now