Low milk supply after illness

(6 Posts)
Heirhelp Tue 24-May-16 21:20:49

After EMCS and tongue tie (to be sorted tomorrow) I had established breast feeding with lots of help. When my baby was 12 days old an undiagnosed infection deep in wound sent me into sepsis and I was hospitalised for 4 days. Since then my milk supply has been reduced and it is not enough for my baby so I am having to top up with formula.

How can I increase my supply? Please bear in mind that around looking after my baby I still need lots of rest of heal and recover.

Nousername2015 Wed 25-May-16 20:29:06

Taking fenugreek and regular pumping worked for me after a heavy cold. Also lots of skin to skin and frequent feeds with baby, maybe try taking baby to bed so you are comfortable?

Hope things continue to improve and you recover soon flowers

CityDweller Wed 25-May-16 21:50:24

I think that encouraging baby to breast as much as possible will give the body signals to increase supply. Does your hospital have an infant feeding coordinator? As they might be able to advise. Try contacting the Mw team to ask. Otherwise, a phone call to one of the bf helplines...

Junosmum Thu 26-May-16 08:46:57

Rent a hospital grade pump. Use it frequently- whilst resting. Will increase your supply.

jennywest224 Fri 27-May-16 20:00:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Yummytummycancer Fri 27-May-16 20:06:16

I find ftat goats filk is a perfect substitute for tit cream

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now