how to increase milk supply.

(11 Posts)
HarrysMummy17 Wed 18-May-16 08:12:30

Hi,

I'm currently expressing milk for my 4 week old. He was born at 36 weeks and we struggled with latching on so I've been expressing and bottle feeding whilst trying to establish breastfeeding.
We were doing quite well with breastfeeding until we got thrush so I've gone back to just bottles for now

My problem is, I've struggled to find time to express often enough and I think my milk supply is decreasing. To start with I could express 200ml from each side, now I struggle to get 60 from one and 100 from the other.

Is there any way to increase the supple or have I screwed it up for myself?

I'm expressing as often as I can now and will start nursing again.

DownstairsMixUp Wed 18-May-16 08:17:07

Fenugreek worked for me but i stunk like curry.

YorkieDorkie Wed 18-May-16 08:20:02

It's supply and demand so just keep stimulating as often as you can and your supply should increase!

HandbagFan Wed 18-May-16 09:12:09

Check out the Kellymom website for lots of information. Before trying fenugreek etc, are you pumping often enough? At your stage it should be 8+ times a day. Doing regular (every 2-3 hrs) pumps will help to build up supply but you're not doing badly even if you feel it's less than before! Low supply is classed as 300mls a day for exclusive pumpers.

And well done on getting this far. I'm pumping and DS is just over 12 weeks. I know first hand how difficult it is especially when baby is tiny. You're doing a brilliant thing for your baby.

HarrysMummy17 Wed 18-May-16 10:50:51

Thank you for the replies. I'm struggling to find the time to express whilst juggling a newborn, a 3 year old and everyday life!!

Will make sure I try everytime a have a spare 10 minutes!

HandbagFan Wed 18-May-16 10:55:45

I've found it's settled into a pattern although baby often disrupts my plans! I do 3.30, 7.30, 10.30, 12.30, 16.00, 19.00, 22.00.

The lunchtime pump gets moved back if we go out like yesterday.

Bear2014 Wed 18-May-16 10:59:34

Oats, so porridge and flapjacks, worked quite well for us. And drink plenty of fluids. I also took a supplement from Amazon called Mother's Milk Special Blend. It was recommended by our lactation consultant. Can you hold your baby while expressing? This could release more milk friendly hormones.

DownstairsMixUp Wed 18-May-16 12:28:11

I pumped every four hours. With the fenugreek i made 45oz a day!! I ended up donating some.

jennywest224 Fri 27-May-16 20:23:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

KP86 Fri 27-May-16 20:31:45

1. Getting bub onto the breast as much as possible will stimulate supply. Will they latch using a nipple shield? The first time I got DS to latch properly at 9 weeks, the next morning I got double my normal amount from pumping.

2. Use a good quality, double pump. Hospital grade does make a difference. And do it often. Every couple of hours, including overnight, if possible while establishing supply. If you have time (with a newborn and toddler this is a bit of a laugh) keep going past the initial let down, and let yourself pump for another 10 mins while getting nothing and you'll get your second let down. Once that's done then you're finished for the session. I pumped for a year (enough to feed my DS and donate to other families) and a pumping session was around 30-45 mins total.

3. Drinking plenty of water and relax while expressing. Looking at photos of your DC can help some women.

Good luck and well done for keeping at it.

Junosmum Sat 28-May-16 13:25:28

Make sure you pump over night- 3/4am is very important

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now