Talk

Advanced search

14 wk old refusing bottle

(11 Posts)
Flackgirl Mon 16-May-16 17:26:19

My 14 week old formula-fed* DD has been SUPER fussy during feeds for about 2 weeks now. She will drink about 1-2 ounces then start screaming or turning head away from the bottle. However, she WILL drink at night-time (5 or 6 oz bottle at about 7.30pm fed to sleep, then another 5oz or so at 2 or 3 am - no fussing at either). This makes me think it isn't reflux or intolerance, because she isn't showing any signs of distress at these night feeds. But this is my first child and tbh I really have no idea! She's averaging about 20oz per day (with MUCH effort) which doesn't seem enough.

We have tried: feeding in dark (in case distracted); changing teat size; feeding sitting up; feeding on the move; leaving longer between feeds (she rarely seems hungry tbh).

Otherwise, she is a really laid-back baby, seems healthy and the wet nappies are OK. I mentioned it to HV a week in, and she was not concerned as it had only been a week at that stage.

Perhaps it is just a phase, but if anyone has any ideas I would be really grateful!

*Formula fed by necessity - breastfeeding not possible.

LittleElephant123 Wed 18-May-16 13:18:04

My 18 week is exactly the same! I think it started roughly about 14 weeks. We moved up to size 3 teats, tried feeding in the dark in silence too. Nothing seemed to help. Spoke to HV who isn't concerned as she's still putting on weight and is happy. It's causing me to stress tho as I'm starting to avoid going out because of the fuss she makes feeding!

Glad I'm not alone on this! Wish I had some help to give xx

Flackgirl Wed 18-May-16 18:26:04

Thank you Elephant - it's so stressful, isn't it? I have friends who are bf who are also having breast-strikes at the moment, so I guess it's probably something developmental rather than anything physically wrong with them...

Doesn't make it any easier though. I am hoping that she will just snap out of it soon. If I find anything that works I will let you know - at the moment, I am doing an ounce or two then, when she refuses, offering again 30-45 mins later. I'm just going to keep making up bottles and offering every couple of hours. Keep telling myself it can only possibly go on for another 2 months, as she'll be weaning soon smile

Good luck - and let me know if you make any breakthroughs!

LittleElephant123 Wed 18-May-16 20:00:38

It really is so stressful! I start to worry and convince myself she's not getting enough and going to end up in hospital . . . Very dramatic I know! But it's just too worrying!

We've started weaning our girl as she was more than ready for it, I'm actually scared at how quickly she took to it the past few days.

Hopefully it passes for us both and I'll keep you posted if anything changes

Flackgirl Sat 28-May-16 15:14:52

Elephant - hope it's going better! Just in case it works for you, I have had some success with lulling her to sleep at nap time then quickly switching out the dummy for a bottle. Essentially a daytime dream feed. Worth a shot!

LittleElephant123 Sat 28-May-16 16:06:13

Great minds think alike I was trying this yesterday. Worked for an 1oz. Then the lips went together and would not budge. Hopefully you have more luck with it!

Flackgirl Sat 28-May-16 16:21:43

Aw man. Onwards and upwards!

Flackgirl Mon 27-Jun-16 14:33:30

Update for anyone stumbling upon this thread: this issue lasted 5 weeks but did eventually go away. We think now it was a combination of distraction and not being as hungry due to lull in growth. She didn't lose any weight and is now totally back to normal. Just a stage.

fabulous01 Mon 27-Jun-16 14:44:13

Mine goes off milk when teething. As long as they are happy, putting on weight and wet nappies go with it. Mine stopped for a good few days but when I stopped stressing and kept offering little and often they suddenly decided they wanted it again. But wet nappies are key so keep an eye on that

Shittak Mon 27-Jun-16 15:40:13

DS definitely reduces his milk intake when teething too.

LittleElephant123 Mon 27-Jun-16 16:18:21

Now she's 23 weeks. Only takes bottles at night we're on 4 bottles from 8pm to 6am then food during the day. She just doesn't seem to be interested in milk at all. Certainly hadn't held her back at all. Still no teeth yet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now