What's going on?!

(7 Posts)
Nousername2015 Sun 08-May-16 18:41:06

DS is 16 weeks and ebf. Since about 12 weeks he's had off days with my right side and I could only feed him lying down. Fine by me. Then he went back to accepting it in our usual position (cradle hold), all good - or so I thought!
Now he will only feed from my right in the rugby ball position, I have to trick him into thinking it's my left. On my left he will latch on and then get incredibly frustrated because the let down isn't instant so we are constantly off and on with lots of moaning.
With all this going on I have no idea if he's getting enough. I last had him weighed 2 weeks ago and all was fine but that was before all this started. Any ideas what it could be? I'm not ready to stop bf for a good while yet!

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 08-May-16 18:43:09

Could he be teething and have a sore part of his mouth? By 16 weeks he would be able to move/refuse if it was hurting him. My ds is ff, but they do all go through phases of being generally annoying with feeding, batting the bottle away or gnawing on the teat, so I'd imagine an ebf baby would do the same!

Nousername2015 Sun 08-May-16 19:00:17

I hadn't even thought about teething! I can get him to latch on the right at night or if he's waking up from a nap. Same with the left. When he's refusing the right he doesn't cry or show any signs of discomfort, he just looks away and no amount of coaxing can persuade him back! I don't mind doing what I need to to feed him at home but I'm struggling to feed discreetly in public.

ALongTimeComing Sun 08-May-16 19:36:12

Are you happening to feed him off that side when he's not actually hungry?

Nousername2015 Sun 08-May-16 20:23:21

I'm responsing to cues and it is happening too often for him to not be hungry. He often feeds off both sides too. Even if I offer that side first there's still issues.

DonkeyOaty Sun 08-May-16 20:46:22

One of mine was exactly the same. Cross hold for right boob and rugby ball for left.

ALongTimeComing Mon 09-May-16 11:43:10

I would keep persevering. Babies do strange things and can be really fussy at different points. Teething can be a total pain in the bum for feeding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now