Talk

Advanced search

Refrigerated breastmilk

(6 Posts)
GipsyDanger Wed 27-Apr-16 13:01:39

Currently bf my nearly 2 month (omg when did that happen!) ds

Bf is going really well, apart from a slight oversupply issue. Anyway I have started expressing into 6oz bottle/container things. Currently ds only eats about 3oz. If I can manage to fill one of the bags, Can I give him the rest later on or would I have to bin the rest?

tiktok Wed 27-Apr-16 16:05:29

Simplest thing to do is to freeze in small quantitiessmile It's not good to defrost 6 oz and then refreeze or have it hanging about too long.

Small quantities freeze more quickly and defrost more quickly - no point at all in freezing 6 oz at a time.

2ManySweets Wed 27-Apr-16 16:10:06

Apparently breastmilk keeps for....
6hrs if left at room temp
6 days if refrigerated
6 weeks if frozen

Time to get the breastmilk freezer bags out smile

Cakescakescakes Wed 27-Apr-16 16:10:44

Freeze it in 2oz portions. This gives you best flexibility. I used the medela freezer bags. Also beware the bags can occasionally split when defrosting so set them in a mug or bowl just in case.

GipsyDanger Wed 27-Apr-16 16:14:39

Thanks! I just saw the 6oz and was like - challenge accepted! Managed to get 4oz out by hand and it didn't take all that long. I've got the Tommy tippy ones that you express and feed right from the pouch, looks pretty cool. It'll be good to get a wee supply built up, ds takes a bottle no problem

Junosmum Wed 27-Apr-16 20:49:21

2manysweets it's 6months frozen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now