Talk

Advanced search

Slow gain and now no gain!

(8 Posts)
feeona123 Wed 20-Apr-16 22:42:32

Hey

Baby was born on the 91st and after 14 weeks I thought he'd found his line on the 2nd. He's been gaining roughly 7oz a fortnight steadily.

Paed seen him and wasn't too worried, looked well etc but asked for fortnightly weigh ins until next appt.

Been today at 18 weeks and there has been no gain in the last 2 weeks.

Baby looks bigger this week as well sad

Any ideas?

X

tiktok Thu 21-Apr-16 14:30:21

He may well be fine but it makes sense to offer more frequent feeds and to take the other easy steps to increase intake - switch feeding and breast compression. Hope this helps.

meffhead Thu 21-Apr-16 15:10:58

Is he FF or BF? Speak to your dietician about an extra calorie milk to help with weight gain. My DS was FTT baby and lost constantly.

Jemappelle Thu 21-Apr-16 16:26:20

91st to 2nd? Is that over fourteen weeks or was it more sudden? I ask because that's quite a span and I wondered if anything had made HCP s concerned (if at all).

43percentburnt Thu 21-Apr-16 16:32:12

Does he have tongue tie? It's luck of the draw as to whether it's picked up or dealt with. My dd had hers cut the same day, I know someone who has been waiting a couple of months (same hospital). I was also told by a nurse who noticed the tongue tie that another local hospital (nhs) doesn't 'believe' in tongue tie, she said we were lucky we were not there.

You can pay privately, approx £130.

feeona123 Thu 21-Apr-16 23:46:30

Hi

No TT, had that with my first so he's been checked and double checked.

The drop has been over 14 weeks but he has been pretty much gaining the same 7oz fortnightly until this week.

Baby is very happy and content so this is very frustrating.

Paed checked him over 4 weeks ago and wasn't too worried. Spoke to her today and she wants weekly weigh ins and has given some advice.

I'm praying it was an error with the scales and he will be following his line at next weigh in confused

feeona123 Thu 21-Apr-16 23:47:24

Sorry forgot to add all breastfed

tiktok Fri 22-Apr-16 07:45:05

Sounds like it could be catch down growth, and if health has been checked by paed, then all could be well. But I think it makes sense to consciously offer more. Sometimes babies can be laid back and happy, esp if they are from a busy household with lots of entertainment and attention from siblings, and they learn to tick along without asking for as much milk as they might benefit from - that's not a scientifically researched phenomenon, but it is an observation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now