Nursing bras help! - big cup, small band

(14 Posts)
0Nix0 Mon 18-Apr-16 18:42:51

Hi, hope you can help. I'm just trying to do the last bits of prep for the arrival of a tiny person into my life at some point in the next few weeks. After several failures I managed to get a nursing bra at bravismo in 32H...
It turns out John Lewis, m&s, debenhams and mothercare don't go that big in the back band.
I have heard good things about hot milk website - any other suggestions?! Ideally I would like to minimise the1960s air hostess/ 80s Madonna conical boobs look but I accept that's sort of inevitable.
Thank you
Nix

Cakescakescakes Mon 18-Apr-16 18:47:51

I would say don't buy any more nursing bras for a few weeks. Your boobs fluctuate wildly in first couple of weeks as your milk comes in etc. You could end up a totally different size to what you are now. Try and muddle through then back to bravissimo when baby is about 2-3 weeks old. I wore the stretchy sleep bras for first couple of weeks but am only a D cup so might not be enough support for you? They were comfy on sore early days breastfeeding boobs though!

Nicknamegrief Mon 18-Apr-16 18:47:58

Following with some hope. I am a 30H and usually end up a 30J for the first 6months of feeding (number 5 due in 10days).
Before bravissimo the situation was even more dire.
HotMilk do not accommodate a big cup small band either I'm afraid. sad sobs

Nicknamegrief Mon 18-Apr-16 18:50:20

I order about 6/8 bras in different sizes from bravissimo just before I have the baby so I can try once my milk has come in and refund/exchange as necessary.
Nursing bras barely offer enough support. The sleep bras are useless IME with a big milk filled boob....

ANewIdentitytoJazzItUpABit Mon 18-Apr-16 18:55:04

Ebay could be a lifeline. I received some great advice on here from a poster who took my measurement and told me what size I was - at that point there was no way to get to a fitting in the city center as I was pretty much house bound with newborn ! Anyway, I was a 30gg by her estimates then and since then I've gone up another couple of sizes to a 30J - ebay is great as I can order my dodgy size and buy bras for sensible money. Look out for Royce, prices start at £5.99 for some sellers. In Debenham same item is triple.

0Nix0 Mon 18-Apr-16 19:14:01

Thank you for suggestions - it's good to know I'm not alone. I
have a couple of bravismo vest tops with built in soft bra which can act as emergency back up. I realise what size I will end up is a complete guess at this stage so my plan had been to go to John Lewis and simply pick up a couple of styles in a couple of sizes, two of the crop top types and take the wrong ones back when baby is about 2 weeks old... Looks like I might start staking eBay!

gnoomi Mon 18-Apr-16 19:31:14

I used a website (I think it was called nursingbra.co.uk) - I'm 34jjish and wanted underwired feeding bras as I wanted more support and to avoid monoboob. But I used soft sleep bras for the first couple of weeks as my cup size really varied throughout the day

MigGril Mon 18-Apr-16 19:37:42

I could only get bra's from bravisimo and got slightly worried when I got to even there largest cup size shock. Was glad I seemed to stop there not sure what I would have done after that.

Phalarope Mon 18-Apr-16 19:44:26

I bought normal bras and a load of clips, and turning them into nursing bras. Had a hideous non-wired enormo-bra roughly the size of my head for the first few weeks, then moved back into underwiring. I adapted all the bras I'd bought during pregnancy, when I went up a cup size each month, and gradually worked my way back down as my supply established.

Now pregnant again and hoping they inflate a bit less dramatically this time.

isthatmytshirt Mon 18-Apr-16 19:48:05

I had a similar problem. I went with a few from jojomamanbebe, which were, I think, £12 each, but are kind of like a stretchy sports bra kind of material. They are fantastic, as they grow and shrink with you over the first few weeks and months, and are very comfy for sleeping in too. Now that I've settled into a size, I've gone for bravissimo bras for better structure and support, but honestly those jojo ones were fantastic whilst things were a bit all over the place. Not super supportive, but enough for a few months... And if you're anything like me, you won't be jogging or horse riding too soon after the birth ;) so the less support isn't too terrible at all.

wonkylegs Mon 18-Apr-16 20:09:37

I've got one from here www.nursingbra-shop.co.uk/default.asp
I'm currently a 30J @37wks but baby is coming out on weds.
I had a few from my first pregnancy but I'm bigger this time round. My boobs went a bit crazy for a few days when my milk came in and found those sleep bras helpful until they settled down.

ANewIdentitytoJazzItUpABit Mon 18-Apr-16 20:29:51

I tried to find some sleep bras but given my size, its proved fruitless. Any pointers in the right direction?

SewSlapdash Mon 18-Apr-16 20:35:58

I got some Royce ones I think one eBay second hand after a few weeks. Not the most attractive, but inexpensive and did the job in the weeks before my supply settled down a bit. Sympathies, it's horrendous trying to find suitable ones.

Don't forget that your ribs have probably flared quite a bit, so you may find you go down to a 30 in the back quite quickly once the baby is here.

Dungandbother Mon 18-Apr-16 20:50:02

Oh I remember the god awfulness of nursing bras in a 30 back.

Royce will make some your size. They won't be comfy tho. Their design is for c cups but made into h cups. I even did a test for them through mumsnet but they didn't listen. When DC 2 came along they were in my size but still shit.

The trouble is you need a wide opening bra because if any part of it is still pressing on your boob even if your nipple is out for baby, you risk mastitis. Bear that in mind when trying them on.

I would recommend some vests for minimal support in first couple of weeks, let them settle then hunt for your size at bravissimo and on eBay. Also figleaves. Try the Royce, they will probably fit but they won't be comfy.

Hunt for Anita bra's - rosa faia. German. Ruddy expensive but far superior. Sadly they do very little in less than a 32 BUT I would sew them smaller at the back (fold it over a bit and sew it up) for a superior cup fit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now