Talk

Advanced search

don't want to BF - what happens?

(9 Posts)
AimUnder Fri 15-Apr-16 16:57:02

Hi,

I definitely don't want to BF, so I'm just wondering what happens after the birth?

Do the breasts still produce milk? Does the milk still come in? Or does it not because the breasts are not stimulated?

tiktok Fri 15-Apr-16 17:17:59

Yep - the body still 'thinks' you are going to breastfeed smile

It already thinks that way, if you are pregnant....milk-making and producing tissue starts being 'built' from the start of pregnancy.

You will produce colostrum in later pregnancy, and for the first few days after the birth. Then you will produce milk, and it will 'come in' at around day 3.

It does not continue to be produced, because (as you rightly say) the production is not stimulated.

You will notice milk for a couple of weeks, and possibly longer.

Some mothers who don't want to breastfeed do it for a few days, so the baby has the colostrum and the early milk, then they stop. It does not seem to extend the time for which milk is made.

Does this answer your question? Is early breastfeeding, followed by an early cessation, feel like an option to you?

KatyN Sat 16-Apr-16 11:14:55

At about day three your boobs will fill with milk. They will hurt and be really tender to the touch. Keep a tight fitting bra on all the time and take ibruprofen. After about 5 days they will go down and back to normal.
Kx

wigglesrock Sat 16-Apr-16 18:47:26

After a few days, your milk will come in. I wore a good bra, cocodamol was great for me. I didn't touch my breasts at all, not even letting the shower run onto them. I leaked a little for a week or so, just used some pads, not a huge amount. The pain/discomfort lasted about a week.

dakin1 Sat 16-Apr-16 18:51:53

I think there's a tablet you can take to stop you producing milk. Maybe ask your midwife?

AimUnder Sat 16-Apr-16 21:19:36

Thanks all smile

Tiktok, I'm worried that giving the early milk (colostum) will further encourage the breasts to produce milk? I don't want the agony of producing milk and then stopping. When I breastfed my other child I was always over producing milk and really struggled with keeping that under control.

Junosmum Sat 16-Apr-16 22:23:00

You'll produce milk whether you feed baby the colostrum or not. Milk will cease producing after one - two weeks as long as it isn't stimulated further- by feeding beyond 3 days or massaging or showers etc.

tiktok Sat 16-Apr-16 22:52:47

Experiences are individual, and no one can predict exactly what will happen, AimUnder, but Juno is about right - this is more or less what you can expect. Giving the baby colostrum and a few days of breastmilk ( prob not stopping as early as three days) does not seem to extend the production in most women.

Over production is controllable and stoppable - usually, anyway. Were you given help with this? If you want to breastfeed, and this is the main off-putting thing (concern about over supply - which can be a huge and even painful hassle, I agree), then there are things to try, honestly. If you want to know more, pm me.

SellFridges Sat 16-Apr-16 23:03:12

So rare for me to be able to share an experience on this board!

I attempted, half-heartedly, to BF both of my children. I ended up FFing both. I expressed twice a day for 3 months with DC1 and 4 weeks with DC2. My supply regulated to that twice a day very quickly - I'd say within a day or two.

With DC1 I had some discomfort when I stopped but none at all with DC2. I was "trying" less hard to feed him though so I wonder if my body knew?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now