Talk

Advanced search

How to stop breastfeeding

(4 Posts)
MusicMum18 Tue 12-Apr-16 10:51:03

Hi,
My Dd is almost 1 and I am wanting to stop bf. She starts nursery the week after next for 2.5 days per week so I'm thinking about getting her settled in first, so maybe start the process of stopping a couple of weeks into nursery.

I don't bf during day as she's fully weaned. I do bedtime feed 8pm then usually one feed in the night, then morning feed at 7am. She feeds for comfort and screams her head off if I don't feed immediately at these times. Last night she saw my boobs and screamed her head off, when my dh took her into next room she settled.

This morning I tied to skip morning feed and do brekkie first but I changed her nappy, she screamed as she wanted boob when I changed nappy first thing and I relented and gave bf.

I know I need to be stronger, but it's hard I am 38 and basically the reason why I want to stop is so I can do ivf for another baby before I get too old. I figure that a year is long enough, but I know that if we didn't want another baby I'd carry on bf. It's such a hard decision to make though.

Basically I want to slow down and stop bef gradually without my Dd and then me getting distressed and stressy.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

MusicMum18 Tue 12-Apr-16 10:51:33

Ps leaving her to cry is not an option for me. Just can't do it!

Diddlydokey Tue 12-Apr-16 10:54:21

Can you reduce the time at each feed? So if she feeds for 10 minutes, reduce down to 8, then 6 etc?

Junosmum Tue 12-Apr-16 12:26:55

Could your partner do bed times and night waking for a few nights? Cup of warm milk at bed time and then water if she wakes at night - at 1 she shouldn't be hungry at night and it may well just be habit, without the warm mummy snuggles she may well stop that. You could do the morning feed for a little while longer until she is used to no night feeds and then stop that too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now