Talk

Advanced search

Started BF at 18 weeks

(23 Posts)
Annasmummy38 Fri 08-Apr-16 21:31:30

My daughter was quite small at birth, and had difficulty latching onto my breasts from the start.
I felt inadequate (particularly when we were re-admitted to hospital at 5 days because she had lost 12% of her birth weight). Bottles and some formula were introduced at this point, which was a bit of a relief.
I continued to express, and my daughter was almost exclusively fed EBM until week 18. (I did periodically try BF with a nipple shield, but she would feed, then take the usual amount from the bottle, so this seemed pointless).
Anyway, at week 18 my pump stopped working, I ordered another, but would have to wait 2 days.
When baby woke in the morning, I fed her the small amount of EBM I'd been able to express the night before. This was insufficient, and my breasts were aching so I tried BF with a nipple shield. This was successful, and we haven't looked back! After 2 days we discarded the nipple shields.
The only downside is that she won't take a bottle at all now!

Key points to remember:
Full breasts
Nipple shields are not evil!

I was encouraged to write this, by my husband, and the health visitor. When my pump broke, I couldn't find any info on starting BF late, so I hope that this may help someone. x

Casmama Fri 08-Apr-16 21:34:32

How lovely that it has worked out for you and good idea to post for others.

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Fri 08-Apr-16 22:10:47

Wow!

LittlePeasMummy1 Fri 08-Apr-16 22:19:29

That's brilliant. Thanks for posting, it's great to hear that this is possible.

elvislives2012 Fri 08-Apr-16 22:26:53

Well done! Lovely to hear xxx

KP86 Fri 08-Apr-16 22:27:42

My DS was also a late feeder, he finally latched properly at 9 weeks after one evening I couldn't be bothered getting a bottle organised so I thought 'fuck this, boob or nothing' and he did, no arguments.

The next morning I got around 700ml out of each breast when I expressed. Ouch!

It is possible. He continued to have bottle or breast, depending what was on offer. Always expressed milk as he had a cow's milk allergy which he has thankfully mostly outgrown.

KP86 Fri 08-Apr-16 22:28:20

I should also say, well done for keeping up expressing for so long, it takes many hours from your day!

Glad you have it sorted now. Such a good feeling smile

MyDarlingWhatIfYouFly Fri 08-Apr-16 22:29:58

Amazing! So glad it all worked out well for you in the end.

MadameJosephine Fri 08-Apr-16 22:30:52

Fabulous! Well done smile

Fwaffy Fri 08-Apr-16 22:31:01

That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing and well done to you bothflowers

FeckingTwatBadger Fri 08-Apr-16 22:34:01

Amazing you kept expressing for so long. Good for you! (And great for baby, of course!)

CaptainCorellisBanjo Fri 08-Apr-16 22:35:23

Well done - that's lovely to read. Best of luck to you and your baby

pollylovespie Fri 08-Apr-16 22:36:50

Fantastic! And hats off to you for pumping for 18 weeks, so pleased it paid off for you!

Flossiesmummy Fri 08-Apr-16 22:38:10

Kudos. You should be very proud smilechocolatecake

Annasmummy38 Fri 08-Apr-16 22:57:47

Not to mention all the time spent washing and sterilising bottles too!

Thanks for all the lovely comments. x

dontcryforme Fri 08-Apr-16 23:05:10

Lovely post and well done!! I had lots of problems BFing DC1 (pain mainly!) and wish I'd ignored the advice of all the experts who constantly told me not to use nipple shields. I think they could have helped and I wouldn't hesitate to use them in future with any other babies I have.

HairyBoob Sat 09-Apr-16 08:55:50

Amazing. Well done. thanks

SweetElizaRose Sat 09-Apr-16 09:07:02

I wish this could be us! I've been expressing for nearly 16 weeks but dd (prem) still won't latch on. I've given up hope...

KP86 Sat 09-Apr-16 11:47:08

SweetElizaRose, don't give up. It might still happen. Just keep trying every few days, and maybe a couple of feeds in a row. I'm sure you would have, but have you tried a nipple shield?

Ohwoolballs Sat 09-Apr-16 11:52:21

I felt weepy reading this! I am awed! 💙💐

littlejeopardy Sat 09-Apr-16 11:58:43

Congratulations! That's lovely to hear. Thank you for sharing. Nipple Shields is what helped my LO too. I don't know why they are not recommended more often. We attended a lesson on baby feeding before the birth and not once we're nipple Shields mentioned. Such a shame when they can really help babies get started.

GingerAndTheBiscuits Sat 09-Apr-16 12:12:23

I thought of you Eliza when I read this thread having seen your own.

Nice one OP!! I'm in awe of anyone who pumps regularly!

TheKingSits Sat 09-Apr-16 13:16:24

Well done OP! You have inspired me to try weaning off the shields again. Maybe third time lucky... smile they have been a lifesaver for us though and agree with the others they should be recommended a lot more than they currently are!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now