Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby 7 days old & still no milk!

(5 Posts)
Squaffle Fri 08-Apr-16 17:05:01

I gave birth to DD1 a week ago, lost a lot of blood during birth and surgery for retained placenta, and this affected my colostrum. Baby got dehydrated so we started formula feeding in hospital and have continued ever since. She gets plenty of skin-to-skin time every day but becomes very distressed if she goes anywhere near my nipples! Would like to express and bottle feed but 7 days after birth there's still no milk and very little colostrum. Am pumping every 3 hours, taking fenugreek, massaging boobs, doing skin-to-skin, drinking loads... anyone else have the same problem? I am determined to keep going until milk comes but starting to worry that it's not going to happen! Thanks everyone xxx

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 08-Apr-16 17:57:54

Congratulations on your new lo. Have you tried one of the Bfing Helplines? thanks

tiktok Fri 08-Apr-16 20:12:09

Squaffle, what a difficult start sad

Are you certain there are no fragments of placenta?

Squaffle Fri 08-Apr-16 20:45:09

JiltedJohnsJulie Thank you smile Not yet, there's plenty of support in my area though so will seek some next week!

Tiktok, there shouldn't be: they did a scan at the end of the surgery to check that it was all gone. I will raise it with my midwife next week if nothing's happening still! x

DropYourSword Fri 08-Apr-16 20:47:18

Are you hand expressing as well pumping? Until there's actually milk to express you'd maybe be better doing it by hand. Also, look up lactation cookies, they are supposed to be very good for increasing milk supplies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now