2 week old DS better on ready to feed

(9 Posts)
GothicRainbow Wed 06-Apr-16 21:27:03

So my plan to have DS2 on Hipp organic cartons at night and powder during the day seems to have gone out the window.

We've been currently giving DS2 Hipp cartons since birth and today tried to switch to the powdered Hipp for his daytime feeds.

I ended up with a baby who fed constantly from 12pm to 3pm, wouldn't sleep, cried on the bottle and by 6pm was absolutely full of wind.

I then gave him a bottle of the ready to feed again at 7.30pm he chugged 3oz and has been snoozing happily ever since.

Has anyone got any experience with their baby preferring ready to feed over powdered formula??

I can see this costing us a fortune if we can't switch him over successfully!

TeaBelle Wed 06-Apr-16 21:31:42

I'd try changing over gradually so do 3/4 of a bottle ready made with a quarter powder for a few days, down to half and half, then decrease further until he is fully on powder

Whosthemummy16 Wed 06-Apr-16 21:33:54

My baby is 3 weeks old and exactly the same !!
Perfect prep machine was an absolute waste

Diddlydokey Wed 06-Apr-16 21:34:49

Mine puked less on ready made. I think it's thicker maybe

GothicRainbow Wed 06-Apr-16 21:36:26

My perfect prep is sitting gathering dust on the side too! So frustrating. Plus the cost will be extortionate if I can't switch him over.

I'm planning on changing him from Hipp cartons as they only come in 200ml to aptamil as I can get them in 1 litre bottles so might be abit more economical until I can try and change him over again.

slebmum1 Wed 06-Apr-16 21:50:19

Yep DTs much preferred it. My theory is it was less thick and as you don't have to shake to mix, less air in it. Swirling as opposed to shaking helped a bit.

They were on prescription formula and we actually managed to get it all ready made in the end.

GothicRainbow Wed 06-Apr-16 22:43:27

You're probably right about the air, the prep machine did make it pretty frothy.

DS snoozed happily and contentedly from
8pm until about 20mins ago so definitely thinking it's not a coincidence and totally to do with the formula.

Rolypolybabies Thu 07-Apr-16 06:49:57

It is heat treated when in the made up cartons to be sterile so some of the longer proteins are slightly broken down making it slightly easier to digest. May find it easier to switch gradually once the baby is a bit bigger x

GothicRainbow Thu 07-Apr-16 07:38:31

Yeh I think that's what we'll try to do. Will possibly wait until he's 2/3 months and then try again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now