Talk

Advanced search

Why won't my milk come during the night

(8 Posts)
FankEweVeryMuch Mon 04-Apr-16 09:11:11

Hi, I'm having a real problem feeding my DS (6 months) at night. I just can't manage to get the milk to let down leaving him crying and angry. It took 15 minutes the night before last and didn't happen at all last night so we had to give him a bottle at 4am having managed to settle him back to sleep earlier in the night without a feed.

During the day I can feel the let down reflex within a minute and his sucking then changes. I'm certain I'm not missing it at night because on the occasions we do get there, he relaxes, feeds and then goes back to sleep.

I don't know what to do, I don't want to stop feeding altogether. He's been having a bottle of formul at 9pm for months but I don't want to increase that. He's my fourth and final and I was hoping to get to 10 months at least.

If it's of any relevance, my period returned last month and I due tomorrow.

tiktok Mon 04-Apr-16 09:43:36

What a nuisance.....it's unusual for this to happen, and for it to be intermittent in the way you describe, and for this reason, it's prob to do with your period. Women do sometimes notice a change in their bf when they are coming up to their period, and then things normalise when their period actually comes.

It doesn't sound a reason to stop breastfeeding at all.

Fugghetaboutit Mon 04-Apr-16 09:58:42

When my period is due I sometimes can't feed in the afternoons. It does affect your supply. Top up with formula and once period has finished it should be fine.

FankEweVeryMuch Mon 04-Apr-16 14:52:10

Thank you both, your replies have really put my mind at ease. I'll see how we go tonight and be ready to give a bottle of need be.

You know what would solve this problem all together, him sleeping all night! hmm I wish!

Fugghetaboutit Mon 04-Apr-16 15:25:09

Apparently supply dips at ovulation and during menstruation so giving an extra bottle won't affect supply.

And yeah, don't we all wish for that!

Rolypolybabies Mon 04-Apr-16 19:13:20

Period always reduces my letdown sensation and virtually stops me being able to express at all. Usually I can express 200ml in day in addition to feeds. Can never get a letdown with pump when hormonal. Guess it is normal then

Fugghetaboutit Mon 04-Apr-16 20:02:57

It's horrible and frustrating when baby is sucking away and you feel empty. I hate that my period always starts back 4/6 weeks postpartum

FankEweVeryMuch Mon 04-Apr-16 20:27:07

I hate that feeling too. My first period didn't come back until I stopped feeding my first two. It came back at 6 weeks third time and five months this time. I hate the fact I'm now fertile again 👎🏻

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now